No-weld UDS (popular mechanics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mlol

Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Europe
Hi Gents,

I'm brand new to the forums, and, well, everything. I am looking for a hobby and I like to cook. Of course I like BBQ and smoked meat and its not something you find alot of (at least in the way I am used to from back in the USA) here in Germany where I live. I want to build a UDS smoker to make smoked beef jerky with. Maybe this is a bit overkill for just making Jerky, and considering i have very little experience building anything (other than computers). But, like I said, i'm looking for a hobby.

So right now I'm reading all I can, browsing around the forums, and starting to search around for a non-sealed drum or two nearby that I can get for cheap.

I am looking at the non-welding build because I have 0 welding experience and dont know anyone who does. However, If I had to, I'm sure I could find someone there are alot of artists here who make stuff with scrap/metal. I suppose I could just ask one.

Anyways I will post back here as I find parts and figure out the plan! :) Cheers!

Popular Mechanics No-Weld UDS:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...g/build-your-own-smoker-from-a-55-gallon-drum

Last edited:
mlol, Check out the UDS builds here before following that article from Popular Mechanic. There are a couple of things wrong with the article design-wise that will be apparent when you look at the UDS builds. The 4 air-intakes on risers is one-that much pipe will reduce your air flow and will give you problems maintaining your chamber temps.

Awesome thanks alot! The more video the better to be honest, i need my hand held on this first project. I dont know how to weld and half the supplies i have never heard of, plus i will have to convert all measurements and pieces to german/metric. So the more help the better (thats why i'm here).

When Shawn drilled his ventilation holes in the bottom of the drum, he drilled three holes 120° apart-the other option is to drill four holes 90° apart.  Once you get your temps where you want them, the intake holes with the nipples are capped off and the ball valve is used to fine tune the temps.

When Shawn drilled his ventilation holes in the bottom of the drum, he drilled three holes 120° apart-the other option is to drill four holes 90° apart.  Once you get your temps where you want them, the intake holes with the nipples are capped off and the ball valve is used to fine tune the temps.
So 4 holes means finer tuning capabilities? Think I got it.

Lots and lots of good info here at SMF on how to build a UDS. Good luck with it. You will love how good it works .

mlol, do you have experience cooking with charcoal?  As a beginner, you might want to try grilling some meat with the local downed tree limbs.

You can soak semi-dry limbs in water and play with holes in aluminum foil to get them to smolder and produce a lot of smoke.  Or, use one of the smoke generators in a kettle grill.  You could also cold smoke some salmon or cheese with a smoke generator to get you started.  

Take a look here:http://www.macsbbq.com/contact

They are in the UK and might be worth checking out.  They look like they have some good stuff to get you started, especially if you want something turn key and proven.

Reactions: mlol
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky