• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

NO heat MES 30 HELP please

tsapp

Joined Oct 28, 2020
I have an MES 30 that had no heat I found a bad spot on the element, so I ordered a new one and replaced it, still have no heat the wires look great, the controller acts like it should be good , power light comes on set the temp and time and the red heating light comes on, the LED light works, I disconnected and reconnected all 3 plugs for the light and it beeps when it gets power, but still no heat. Can anyone help? I am supposed to smoke a brisket for my neighbor tomorrow who is 86 yrs old.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
Do you have access to a multimeter? Can you measure the voltage on the element tabs or maybe use a lamp to test the voltage output?

If your element is new, then it is either the controller of the wiring.

JC :emoji_cat:

tsapp

Joined Oct 28, 2020
No voltage at the wires where they connect to the element The wires look not burnt at all.

radioguy

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 12, 2013
JC is right. There is a switch on that controller that is not making contact. The switch could be a relay or solid state device.

RG

hoity toit

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 4, 2011
Bad Controller.
By the way, I'm done with store bought smokers, prefer to do the build myself. I had masterbuilt for years many of them...All died a slow death eventually. The path is wrought with danger, tread well my friend. Good Luck.

HT

HT

tallbm

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
I have an MES 30 that had no heat I found a bad spot on the element, so I ordered a new one and replaced it, still have no heat the wires look great, the controller acts like it should be good , power light comes on set the temp and time and the red heating light comes on, the LED light works, I disconnected and reconnected all 3 plugs for the light and it beeps when it gets power, but still no heat. Can anyone help? I am supposed to smoke a brisket for my neighbor tomorrow who is 86 yrs old.
Hi there and welcome!
Could be the controller on top or the controller board underneath the bottom compartment.

There is a way to turn your smoker into an amazing even better preforming one if you do the simple rewire and use an Auber PID controller with it.
An Auber PID controller cost like $150 but the thing is it makes your smoker 100x better than any new MES u can buy hahaha. Holds temp within 1-3 degrees no problem so no more temp swings :)

tsapp

Joined Oct 28, 2020
Hi there and welcome!
Could be the controller on top or the controller board underneath the bottom compartment.

There is a way to turn your smoker into an amazing even better preforming one if you do the simple rewire and use an Auber PID controller with it.
An Auber PID controller cost like $150 but the thing is it makes your smoker 100x better than any new MES u can buy hahaha. Holds temp within 1-3 degrees no problem so no more temp swings :)
Is there a a post that shows you how to re-wire it?

pa42phigh

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 17, 2016

tallbm

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
Is there a a post that shows you how to re-wire it?
Yep, pa42phigh pa42phigh beat me to the reply and posted it.
Rewire with an Auber PID is like having a brand new and extra amazing smoker. It's not really a draw back, but you will need to generate smoke with an AMNPS tray or tube and wood pellets once you rewire. Most of us MES guys do that from the beginning of owning an MES so again not really a draw back.

With the Auber PID you dont get long on/off cycles of the element being on therefore the element doesnt heat up long enough to smolder the wood chips, it just cuts on in short intervals as needed to maintain temp within 1 degree or so.

Here is the Auber PID that will work for both MES40 and 30 in the case you ever upgrade to an MES40. I think the best electric smoker for the money is a used MES40 off Craiglist or Facebook that is rewired and has an Auber PID controller put on it hahaha:
You would want the multi-purpose temp probe.

Let us know if you have any questions at all about this stuff. Everyone who rewires and uses a PID controller on an MES says "why did I wait so long to do this!!!" hahaha.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.