Nitrite PPM as per USDA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jlpicard

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 8, 2017
I was reading the Marianski book: Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages and found a section discussion about Nitrites/Nitrates and US Gov't legal limits for PPM amounts based on different products and was surprised to see that for Comminuted products (I had to look this up, it basically means ground meats such as those for sausages) the amount is 156 PPM. This would be according to Marianski, 1 Oz. (28.35 gm) of Cure #1 for 25 pounds of meat.

What came as a shock however was the same discussion about Dry Cure Products such as Country Ham, Country style pork shoulder, Prosciutto... Products prepared from a single muscle where the cure is rubbed into the surface several times during it's curing time is set at 625 PPM or four times higher than that for Comminuted Products (which as stated is 156 PPM). This means that for 25 pounds of meat, you would use 4 Oz. (113.4 gm) of Cure #1.

The book goes on to explain the reasoning for the huge increase in qty between the two methods. "The reason that there are much higher allowable nitrite limits for dry cured products is that nitrite dissipates rapidly in time and the dry cured products are air dried for a long time. Those higher limits guarantee a steady supply of nitrite." Marianski pg. 39.

So the increased ppm for nitrites, Cure #1 as per the USDA is all about TIME, of course we know that Nitrates are often called for when 'long curing' products, since the Nitrates SHOULD break down into Nitrites when coming in contact with certain bacteria found in meats. The problem is that if those bacteria are not in the meat, it won't do a thing for you, it just won't break down into Nitrites and it also is PROHIBITED by the USDA for use in high temperature BACON products.

But, it never, at least that I can find, specifies how much TIME is considered a LONG TIME??? How does one know, when to bump up to this HUGE PPM increase based on a LONG TIME cure and you are using NITRITE? Weeks, Months???

EDIT: Page 24, When curing times are short, up to 14 days, use Cure #1 according to the standard limit of: 1 oz. per 25 lbs of meat.

So I guess that answers my question about time. Anything longer than 14 days use Cure #2 (except bacon). So for bacon type products, that are NON BELLY especially, and often thicker, like Butt Bacon, it should be prepared to a thickness that will ensure complete curing within 14 days.

Last edited:
All good information. I’ll also add the USDA recommendation for nitrite in brine is 1970ppm. Yes, you read that right.

Generally any curing longer than about 40 days can use #2. Otherwise use cure#1.

Nitrite dissipating over time for the 625ppm is for long aged hams like country hams or other meats like pork shoulder or large cuts of beef that will be dried. This process takes months even up to a year.

I’m glad you are reading Marianski. It’s solid curing instructions keeping with the USDA. You eat a whale one bite at a time. I won’t confuse you here, just take everything you just posted into context. It’s all correct, but it all has its own application. I’m glad you are curious enough to read this far and post what you have learned. More discussion will ensue.

The rule of thumb for dry cured products is that if the product will be done drying in 30 days or less, then use cure #1. This would be salami smaller than 42mm diameter. If it will take longer than this, then use cure #2.

When making salami, following modern practices, we always use a starter culture that has nitrate reductase positive bacteria....they reduce nitrates to nitrites.

In reality, the cure is there to offer protection until the water activity is low enough such that the pathogenic bacteria no longer can function. Botulism bacteria need a water activity of at least 0.95 so once you achieve about 16% weight loss then botulism is no longer a concern.

Also of note-spinach has around 1700-1900ppm.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky