Nitrates or Cure #1 aka Pink salt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sflcowboy78

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Fort Worth, Tx
Is it necessary to use cure in jerky if planning for long term storage?

I usually don't have to worry about this since my beef jerky never lasts long enough to have to store it. However I am looking at doing several double batches soon and want to store them.

I us london broil cut into 1/4 in thick strips for the meat and marinate for about 24 hours before dehydrating it. I then cool it down to room temp before putting it in the fridge to cool it all the way before packaging it up. Normally I just put it in ziplock bags, however I will be vacuum sealing it and freezing it. Should I add cure to my marinade?

Nevermind, I was Lazy and did not search or read far enough through the forum. I found my answer, noob mistake i guess.

Mods feel free to delete this thread.

Mike, afternoon......  Glad you found your answer...    My theory about cure #1....  When in doubt about botulism, food borne pathogens etc. use cure #1...  since nitrite, at the levels that makes food safe to eat, is not harmful....   when the alternative is considered, it is very cheap insurance.....   I use a grams scale to weigh cure... at $15 or so, it is a good investment....    

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky