Nice 2 hours with 83 year-old man

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Very cool, I too enjoy those visits. My wife and daughter volunteer at a mobile food bank! They met an elderly gentleman that also volunteers. He is a very classy older gentleman that has had a rough go at things the last few years. His wife’s health is poor, so he dedicates a lot of time to her.

Anyway, he has become a great family friend. He like myself is a gun nut! He invited us out to his place to look at his collection. He has well over 500 guns and a lot of those are antique, one of a kind. We spent well over 3 hours one morning just talking life and guns. Was an honor to visit with him! He is a very sharp and knowledgeable man!

HUGE Sinatra fan here. Born in 1972, so I too only had older folks to talk to about him. Relatives used to say I was an "old soul". Still bummed I missed the chance to see him in Detroit when I was about 17 or 18 maybe? No one wanted to go with me and I didn't want to go alone. Kicking myself for that.

Sorry to get off topic, not trying to hijack this great post.
You mean Detroit in 88 with Sammy and Liza? Got that on PPV and it was real good. PM me if you ever want to discuss the great man.

Reactions: pi guy and BXMurphy
At-a-boy, Murphy. You made that man's day.
While mowing at our church, I would shut the machine down and go set on the driveway in a lawn chair with the neighbor who was a WW II vet, and just visit with him. He has long past now. I sure miss that guy.

The problem is, if I was mowing at our church, I could be talking to some of my "older" friends, but they wouldn't be talking back to me. :emoji_cry:

Bear

All of you folks are very kind. Thank you for sharing your own stories.

I didn't mean it to come off as an act of mercy but as I thought back on my Saturday afternoon, that pleasant experience struck me as something that's worth sharing.

Life comes at you pretty quick. Sometimes a reminder is in order to slow 'er down and enjoy the company of those you meet along the way.

It helps to approach people from a place of love.

Murph

All of you folks are very kind. Thank you for sharing your own stories.

I didn't mean it to come off as an act of mercy but as I thought back on my Saturday afternoon, that pleasant experience struck me as something that's worth sharing.

Life comes at you pretty quick. Sometimes a reminder is in order to slow 'er down and enjoy the company of those you meet along the way.

It helps to approach people from a place of love
Murph
Amen

Reactions: BXMurphy
Definitely worth sharing! One thing I didn't add was some of the people I referred to in my earlier post had become family ...kind of like some of the members here that have passed lately. Except we have met the ones I referred to. Many have or had adopted my kids as their own grandchildren. So not only losing friends but also having to console our kids. Brought up alot of memories, and have shed some tears with those memories!

On a happier note...one of those that passed used to always cook a turkey on a spit over an open fire at camp...funny how a couple of them birds just got up and walked away on him! Good thing I have plausible deniability! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

On a happier note...one of those that passed used to always cook a turkey on a spit over an open fire at camp...funny how a couple of them birds just got up and walked away on him! Good thing I have plausible deniability! :emoji_blush:
Yeah them birds can do that sometimes. :emoji_blush:

Another nice story. Preach!

Thanks for that one.

Murph

Reactions: Brokenhandle
This is a great thread! Thanks for sharing with us. It's great talking with or listening to the older generation! Not only the older generation but sometimes the ones that people turn away from...might have long hair and a scraggly long white beard ( you're fairly new so maybe never even seen any of my posts at rendezvous) but that's the type of people that make up a good share of the members. Some might not look like they have a pot to pee in but the knowledge gained from them is abundant! Kinda did the same thing a few years ago in Deadwood S.D. sat down on a bench with an older gentleman and sat and visited. I'd seen him around ...long white hair, wearing a bandana...he owned some gulf coast property that had been wiped out by the last hurricane and had spent many years working overseas as an engineer. I really enjoyed it and will never forget it!

Ryan
Everyone has a story. Some more interesting than others but I would sit and listen to them all. Even yours Brokenhandle Brokenhandle . 😂

Reactions: BXMurphy
Everyone has a story. Some more interesting than others but I would sit and listen to them all. Even yours Brokenhandle Brokenhandle . 😂
I listen and was taught by my elders...plausible deniability!
But might have been visited one night after we crawled into bed and went to sleep...OK maybe had our fill lol! Seems to me I heard "dammit Bobby! , and something about being here to help you with all your propane and all your propane accessories " but was met at the front door by our red Dobie...she made him honest!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky