• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

acd4476

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Metro Detroit, MI
so my parents just bought me a smoker and i plan to do a cornish hen or chicken before i try a brisket or butt...however i try to limit my sodium intake as i have regular pvcs (pre ventrical contractions) which sometimes are affected by sodium as well as caffiene.  therefore, is it okay to smoke a bord without brine?  i understand it wil probably be more dry this way are there any tips for how to ensure the bird does not dry out?  Thanks in advance!

There are many great rubs with little or no salt- just do some research. The only items I brine are poultry

welcome to SMF

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. Congrats on the new smoker. You'll find lots of good info and some great recipes here. Have fun and happy smoking 

Do a beer butt chicken . no need to brine . And if you can't have beer use  orange or apple juice in the can.  Look on the wikis for emans pig rub .it has no salt or salt substitute in it. For beef i cut the sugar down by 2/3s and add more garlic powder and onion powder.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky