• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Creosote

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 5, 2021
Pittsburg Texas
The place I bought in Pittsburg Texas had an old smoker made from 3/8th inch pipe with no top opening for the firebox, a 2 inch chimney (thus the name Creosote)(photo after adding to the chimney) with a 13 x 24 firebox and 24 by 31 cooking chamber and had been filled with honey bees. Not much of a smoker for wanting to learn and cook some good ole Texas Brisket. I am really wanting to learn and become a decent pittmaster with an offset smoker. I have tons of red oak and white oak on the property with some Black Jack so I will be using those woods for smoking. Hope all yall can give me much needed information and guidance. Smoker 1a.jpg Smoker 1a.jpg Smoker 2a.jpg

Welcome from pa, lots of great people here, offsets are great smokers just need some patients and learn your smoker. I would say start with some ribs or a pork butt and see how your smoker acts.

Welcome from ND
Lots of info here that may be of help for you. Otherwise just ask, there is a ton of knowledge here and everyone is willing to assist.

Welcome from WA State

Pork Butt is probably one of the easiest/most forgiving meats. There are lots of great posts on here how to do it. Folks do them using some slightly different tweaks as far as techniques go, but the biggest common thread is to use a thermometer, get it all the way up to around 203 degrees so that all the collagen breaks down so you aren't eating shoe leather. Confirm that it probes tender everwhere to be sure. You are on the way to tastebud heaven!

Welcome to SMF from SE Ga and congrats on the new property and smoker ! Lots of great folks and info here .

Last edited:
The place I bought in Pittsburg Texas had an old smoker made from 3/8th inch pipe with no top opening for the firebox, a 2 inch chimney (thus the name Creosote)(photo after adding to the chimney) with a 13 x 24 firebox and 24 by 31 cooking chamber and had been filled with honey bees. Not much of a smoker for wanting to learn and cook some good ole Texas Brisket. I am really wanting to learn and become a decent pittmaster with an offset smoker. I have tons of red oak and white oak on the property with some Black Jack so I will be using those woods for smoking. Hope all yall can give me much needed information and guidance.View attachment 518173View attachment 518173View attachment 518175
That is a nice move in present. Welcome from Louisiana

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky