Newbie with a UDS build. Damper or stovepipe for lid exhaust

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ImThaBean

Original poster
Feb 2, 2020
Saginaw
Just got a 30 gal drum and am planning/building a shopping list for my mini UDS.

I'll be running 3 - 3/4" holes with black pipe and valve for the bottom, but looking at the lid for blow off.
What is everyone's thoughts on a pinwheel damper over a 2" or 3" stovepipe for exhaust?

I like the simplicity of the damper, but I also like the stovepipe idea since I'll be burning under a semi-enclosed carport.
I was thinking of setting up some flexible 4" dryer duct from the stovepipe to billow outside the carport like how firetrucks are set up inside the station.

The long exhaust might be a problem but you don't know unless you try it.
Let us know how it works for you, everything else sound like it will workout fine.

I think you may have problems with the extra long exhaust unless you keep it vertical or close to it. Don't do it the way they do at the fire station. Your mini UDS is not going to generate much of a draft with the little fire it requires. Most drum style charcoal cookers don't have a tall exhaust for that reason. If the smoke cools too much on the way up it may settle inside the exhaust pipe and smother your fire.

Sounds good.
I plan on building this weekend if I can get everything. Just need to get some expanded to make the basket and I should be set.

I couldn't get a teardrop stack locally, nor can I weld, nor have the parts to make one. So I am going with 6 - 3/4" exhaust ports on the lid. Figured the guys building 55's go with 8 holes., I could downsize on the 30gal.

Also going with 3 - 3/4" intake holes with 1 on a valve.

Sounds good.
I plan on building this weekend if I can get everything. Just need to get some expanded to make the basket and I should be set.

I couldn't get a teardrop stack locally, nor can I weld, nor have the parts to make one. So I am going with 6 - 3/4" exhaust ports on the lid. Figured the guys building 55's go with 8 holes., I could downsize on the 30gal.

Also going with 3 - 3/4" intake holes with 1 on a valve.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky