Newbie with a couple of MES 40 questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spectre

Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
Hi all,

I'm new to smoking, and to this forum. I did smoke my first brisket yesterday with my new 2nd gen Mes 40, and it came out pretty darn well thanks to the great info and suggestions I found while searching this forum. I'm hoping someone can answer a couple of seeming simple questions that I have that are not so obvious to me. First, can the Mes 40 drip/ heat deflector be covered in foil to help with cleanup, or will that affect the heat distribution? Second, after reading threads here, I'm thinking about getting an amnsp, but I'm confused about how best to place it in the Mes 40. Should it be on the left side away from the element?. Should it be placed on the floor of the smoker underneath the water pan? Should the water pan be removed and it set on top of the deflector over the water pan hole. I'd appreciate any input, and wanted to let you all know how glad I am to have found this forum and look forward to being a member here.

Call Todd at amazn or send pm on this forum and he'll give you the answer. He's played with his pellet tube in the 40 and knows how they work together.
On a side note I have used small chunks in the 40 with great results. As for foil....yeah cover it up for easy cleanup.

Hi all,

I'm new to smoking, and to this forum. I did smoke my first brisket yesterday with my new 2nd gen Mes 40, and it came out pretty darn well thanks to the great info and suggestions I found while searching this forum. I'm hoping someone can answer a couple of seeming simple questions that I have that are not so obvious to me. First, can the Mes 40 drip/ heat deflector be covered in foil to help with cleanup, or will that affect the heat distribution? Second, after reading threads here, I'm thinking about getting an amnsp, but I'm confused about how best to place it in the Mes 40. Should it be on the left side away from the element?. Should it be placed on the floor of the smoker underneath the water pan? Should the water pan be removed and it set on top of the deflector over the water pan hole. I'd appreciate any input, and wanted to let you all know how glad I am to have found this forum and look forward to being a member here.
Easy questions:

Sure you can cover the heat deflector.

The best place for the AMNPS is on the bars, to the left of the chip drawer, away from the element.

Don't remove the water pan. Always leave it in, even when empty.

Don't ever place an AMNPS on top of the heat deflector.

Bear

Welcome aboard, spectre!  Glad you joined us.  You've found a great place to learn and share ideas.  Lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who really enjoy helping one another.    The guys already gave you good advice about foiling the water pan and the AMNPS.  Todd's smoke generators are a must-have for any MES owner.  Just ask when you need help and you'll get plenty.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick replys and helpful info. I went ahead and ordered the 5x8 pellet burner and can't wait to give it a try, but I do have another newbie question. Since I've read that meat will basically reach its smoke saturation at 140 degrees, will using the smoke generator beyond that make the meat too smokey or bitter tasting? I've seen posts that say the generator can go for as long as 11 hours.

Thanks,
Spectre

Meat will absorb very little smoke after a certain time and temp. Oversmoking is caused by white, billowing creosote laden smoke while it can absorb. Basically you simply throw in enough pellets to get you thru 3 to 4 hours unless you have a big piece of meat. You'll learn how the pellet tray works in your mes and how much smoke you want. You can light one end, both ends, etc

Actually the length of time to smoke depends on your taste. I keep smoke on my goodies the whole time, except when wrapped in foil, however it has to be light smoke, and not heavy smoke,like Geerock mentioned. A whole lot of light smoke gives you Great smoky flavor. But just a little bit of heavy smoke can give you a nasty bitter taste, or a tingling of the tongue from creosote.

Also----IMHO----The smoke ring may slow or stop after 140 IT, but the meat will continue to take smoke flavor, although the more smoke you get on it, the less it will take.

Bear

Thanks Bear. That makes sense. I like a good smokey flavor, but the wife not so much. It'll be fun working out a compromise.

Spectre

Thanks Bear. That makes sense. I like a good smokey flavor, but the wife not so much. It'll be fun working out a compromise.

Spectre
LOL---Mrs Bear doesn't like much smoke either.

I worked out a compromise with her on my Smoked Prime Rib-------I trim the outer 1' off of her slice for me, and leave the center for her. That way I get the tasty, fatty, smoky stuff. and she gets the more lean, less smoky center.

Bear

I always cover both the water pan and the drip pan with heavy-duty foil before cooking (make sure to poke a hole through the drip pan hole so it will drain).

Also, I noticed that the bottom of the water pan was getting pretty sooty, then remembered (from my trusty old Boy Scout training) to take the foil I used for the water pan, wad it up in a ball, then use it to scrub the soot off the bottom of the pan. Cleans it up just like new!

I was a dedicated wood-fired smoker cooker for many years before I was given my 40" MES as a birthday gift. I love it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky