Newbie Winemaker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks Gwanger.... Well, to be somewhat skeptical, there ain't nuttin near me... 100 miles to the closest city... The internet, Amazon and Costco are my choices... not too bad... Last time I fueled my truck was over 3 months ago... It's got to be darn important before I go anywhere... W-M, 1 mile away... groceries every 3 weeks... I may be making it sound worse than it is... We DON'T have any Tide-Pods parades...

Dave, I am chuckling to myself, I thought I was the only one to be that isolated, My wife and I are avid fisherman and we have a small cabin just south of Lake Superior in the Hiawatha Natl. Forest. we have no real neighbors just a few hunting cabins, the few neighbors are only there for 2 wks in hunting season. No real neighbors except for the bears that walk thru yard looking for free food, my grill is ransacked regularly. No electricity except what I make w/solar panels but I am only person on road w/well and flush toilet. So LOL I know what it is like to be isolated. I will double check the list of items that I sent you for winemaking so I didn't forget anything.Dave, only thing I might have forgotten is an auto siphon for racking your wine off of sedement in first bucket. Don't want to use suck method bc of contamination from germs in mouth.You will also need a 5 gal. bucket with star san in it to sanitize all that will come in contact with wine.Everything!!! I use Northern Brewer for supplies bc they have everything needed.Wish you luck and you will have fun doing it. Gwanger

Last edited:
I am about 7 miles north of Okanogan... even Omak ain't on the map..
Omak (/oʊˈmæk/ o-MAK[4]) is a city located in the foothills of the Okanogan Highlands in north-central Washington, United States. With an estimated 4,854 residents as of 2015, distributed over a land area of 3.43 square miles (8.9 km2), Omak is the largest municipality of Okanogan County and the largest municipality in Central Washington north of Wenatchee. The Greater Omak Area of around 8,229 inhabitants as of the 2010 census is the largest urban cluster in the Okanogan Country region, encompassing most of its twin city of Okanogan. The population has increased significantly since the 1910 census, reporting 520 residents just prior to incorporation in 1911.

Eastern Wa.png

they need to put a home brew supply in town for you,or open one yourself although it is very competitive but your area may be a good spot.Brew and Q

Folks here don't like to mention their drinking habits.... They are all tea totalers until you are invited to the barn...

Folks here don't like to mention their drinking habits.... They are all tea totalers until you are invited to the barn...
LOL ,,, around here you know who's who when the recycle truck comes thru .

Dave- I suggest starting with a white wine kit bc it will be ready in 6 mos. It will come with instructions that will give you enough info to get your feet wet. no stomping of grapes necessary. you basically start with 6 gal. of good water,I dont use well water bc my water is very hard,add the juice from kit,stir with sanitized long ss spoon, add additives from wine instructions ,stir, add yeast to top of wine don't stir, cover w/lid fill airlock half-way w sanitizing solution, place air lock in whole in lid and you are on way to becoming a vintner, follow directions from kit it will give you instructions as you go.you will need a wine rack bc a kit makes 30 bttles. Have fun.Not hard.Dave I use Northern Brewer bc they are not too far from me.They are on net they will deliver.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky