Newbie who wants recommendations on cold smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tinab

Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Denver
I'm new to smoking in general.  I just bought a cookshack smokette last week and smoked a pork butt that was awesome! Now, I need a cold smoker and wanted to get opinions of others that may own this:http://www.everythingkitchens.com/tsm_the_sausage_maker_insulated_smokehouse_20_lb_40800.html

This is the only cold smoker I've found that is dedicated to cold smoking.  I want to smoke ham, bacon, sausages and cheese.  Does anyone own one of these cold smokers?

I'm also getting the a-maz-n smoker from Todd in a few days.

Tina - a domestic engineer from Denver

If you are getting the A Maze N Smoker then half the battle is over. Now all you need is a cooking chamber. I just use my regular smoker and just don't apply any heat. If you need a cheap cold smoker there are a few threads on here that show how to convert a card board box into a cold smoker. As long as you have your smoke source (A Maze N Smoker) then pretty much any chamber with an air intake and exit hole will work in a pinch.

If you are getting the A Maze N Smoker then half the battle is over. Now all you need is a cooking chamber. I just use my regular smoker and just don't apply any heat. If you need a cheap cold smoker there are a few threads on here that show how to convert a card board box into a cold smoker. As long as you have your smoke source (A Maze N Smoker) then pretty much any chamber with an air intake and exit hole will work in a pinch.
Exactly - all you need is the AMS and your Cookshack. Save your $ for other toys for sure.

A-MAZE-N-SMOKER is GREAT!

Be careful what you "cold-smoke".

Cheese is great to cold smoke.

Bacon, if cured properly is also great cold-smoked & warm smoked.

There are all kinds of instructions on this forum. Do a search, and then ask some questions.

Bear

I add my voice to just sticking with the AMNS and not getting a separate "cold smoker".  You put the AMNS in your cookshack and don't use any heat for cold smoke and use low heat for warm smoke. 

I'm not sure that the unit in the link you gave is cold enough for cheese smoking -- I know that the AMNS inside a box is.  Been there, done that, loved the result.  This time of year is good for doing cheese. 

Thanks for the replies.  Here's my other concerns:  My cookshack only goes down to 140 degrees and (if I can figure out how to get some dowels in the CS) I won't have extra room for ice because I'll be hanging the meat.  The other concern is getting dowels for the cookshack.

The other smoker I'm looking at has dowels and the temp range is 50-200 degrees. 

I get a pig every 4-6 months and plan on doing bacon and hams along with salami and it all require cool or cold smoking.  I just want it to be easy as possible...

Thanks

Tina

Thanks for the replies.  Here's my other concerns:  My cookshack only goes down to 140 degrees and (if I can figure out how to get some dowels in the CS) I won't have extra room for ice because I'll be hanging the meat.  The other concern is getting dowels for the cookshack.

The other smoker I'm looking at has dowels and the temp range is 50-200 degrees. 

I get a pig every 4-6 months and plan on doing bacon and hams along with salami and it all require cool or cold smoking.  I just want it to be easy as possible...

Thanks

Tina
Tina

I have the SmokinTex which almost the same as what you have. I do have the larger unit - the 1400.  I no longer even use the chunk box in my smoker, I just set the AMS in and light it. That would be perfect for what you want to do. You don't even turn on the heating element if you are cold smoking. 

Good luck  

Hello Tina, and welcome to the SMF. You won't be let down by the AMNS, great add-on for any serious smoking person. It's all good my friend.

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Tina to SMF. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction  

Tina

I have the SmokinTex which almost the same as what you have. I do have the larger unit - the 1400.  I no longer even use the chunk box in my smoker, I just set the AMS in and light it. That would be perfect for what you want to do. You don't even turn on the heating element if you are cold smoking. 

Good luck  

Hi Scarbelly,

I'm also brand-new to smoking, although I have cured my own bacon and then just brought it up to 150 deg internal temp in the oven. I just purchased the Smokin Tex 1400 last night, with the intent of using it for hot smoking bacon. But most of the folks on the forum are advocating for cold smoking bacon instead of hot smoking. Would you recommend purchasing the AMNS for cold smoking bacon instead of the cold smoking plate that Smokin Tex sells?  Also, what do you use in your 1400?  The 6x6 or 6x8 sawdust smoker, or the pellet smoker?  Thanks for any advice! 

Tina

Good luck  

Crap, one other question for you Scarbelly. I've read some comments in SMF that say that there isn't adequate airflow in the Smokin Tex to keep the AMNS going unless you drill an extra ventilation hole. Did you have to do that, or is your ST1400 fine for the AMNS without modification?   Thanks again!

Your question is just another testament to how much Scarbelly contributed to this forum!! Sorry to say we lost Scar a short while back.

The AMNPS burns both dust and pellets, having the option would make it my choice. As to mods with the air holes I'm not familiar with that unit and am sure someone will be along to answer your questions.

Hi SnorkelingGirl,

The Smokin' Tex will work fine "As Is" with sawdust

Scar and i were working out a way to burn pellets, and that's why the extra holes were drilled in the bottom of his Smokin' Tex.

If you're trying to "Cold Smoke" in the Smoking' Tex 1400, the AMNS 6x6 will work just fine

Todd

Your question is just another testament to how much Scarbelly contributed to this forum!! Sorry to say we lost Scar a short while back.

The AMNPS burns both dust and pellets, having the option would make it my choice. As to mods with the air holes I'm not familiar with that unit and am sure someone will be along to answer your questions.
     Quote:
Hi SnorkelingGirl,

The Smokin' Tex will work fine "As Is" with sawdust

Scar and i were working out a way to burn pellets, and that's why the extra holes were drilled in the bottom of his Smokin' Tex.

If you're trying to "Cold Smoke" in the Smoking' Tex 1400, the AMNS 6x6 will work just fine

Todd
Thank you Todd and Sound1 for your helpful info. 

And I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky