Newbie trying a Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you use mustard you should try making it fresh it's so much better than store bought. Yellow mustard is best to wait over night.

You can make a really great Dijon style mustard in just about a month, or eat it fresh just over night.

Dijon with a bit of fresh mayo makes a great sandwich.

Yellow Mustard goes on all my Briskets and Pork that get a rub. As Jeff P. and Cajun stated, it acts as a "binding agent" for the rub. It also assists in the breakdown of the meat.

Injecting with AJ is a personal preference that I've had great success with.

So, how'd it turn out?

Jeff

Jody -

Just my two cents ... I've done the bare meat on the grate and like it best fat cap down, but I hate fat!

I also did it in the pan and it also seemed to taste best fat cap down. Also seems juicier in the pan.

Note: I use a ECB with charcol and wood chunks. I have no experiance with anything else. I also like the water pan becuase it helps fight this blasted cold spell and keep temerature up a bit.

I've been just rubbing the beasties with powdered mustard before rubbing then just let them sit an hour or so and rub. Works for me!

Great stuff in this thread! I'm smoking my first brisket right now, and reading many threads so I don't forget anything! If I am successful, it is mostly thanks to all you that share your experiences on this forum. HATS OFF TO YOU!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky