Newbie traded for this RF 275 gallon smoker and need to tweak some things

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

paraord

Original poster
Jun 26, 2018
Western NY
Hi Everyone,

Hello from Western NY. 1st post on smokingmeats, but I have done my fair share of lurking in the past. Took a mess of ideas and modified my old sidebox walmart special smoker that worked great for the past few years. Anyways I had a spare, very large, Stihl saw and put it up for sale or trade when this was offered as a straight trade for the ol' 056. I couldn't say no.

Its a 275 gallon tank for the cooking/smoking portion and about a 50 gallon tank for the firebox (25"x12"38"). Its a few years old and well seasoned. This thing is really nicely built, Ill be doing some finish work with some expanded metal to make a deck, new wiring/hitch, a few other odds and ends too. So its not a ground up build, its a finishing and tuning kinda build I suppose. This will get me off my duff and start smoking those venison snack sticks and make proper venison sausage. That 16 quart Chop-rite sausage press might as well move into the kitchen permanently.

A couple things I want to do, 1 make a stainless steel catch pan to go under the majority of the smoking surface. Ill loose 6 inches off the left and right side for the flu, but only lose a few inches front to back. I'll probably weld in some additional angle iron support for this. Might do 1 pan to cover the whole thing, or 2 pans...or 3. Not sure the protocol or what anyones ideas are. The reason for the catch pans is just for ease of cleaning and I dont want to chance the bottom rotting out. I need to patch all of two small holes.

But the most important thing I need some help on is the damper. This thing cannot operate on its current air damper. A firebox of this size needs a much breathing hole than 4 1/2" holes. I have no idea how big the hole ought to be. I was kinda thinking one of these in 8 inch? Once it gets going I can leave the door open but it leaves much to be desired on the fine tunability.

Ill likely make a larger charcoal "box" at somepoint too, but I had to take down a 275 year old pignut hickory tree and I have plenty of that to play with.

And without further interruption, the pictures

tVFK6PIl.jpg

0Hge4rkl.jpg

qDjyxvRl.jpg

g0k6Pqbl.jpg

p87evvtl.jpg

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Well I put in an order for a exhaust cap and an 8" Lavalock pinwheel damper. Hope it shows up today or tomorrow and Ill get those put in place.

Ill get that sheet metal pan bent up in the next few days too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky