Newbie to Smoking - MES 30 is awesome, and a big thanks to everyone on these forums

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stygshore

Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Waterford, MI
Hello everyone. First I would like to say thank you for all those willing to share your knowledge and experience on these forums, it helped me a great deal in the last few days in preparing some rather incredible smoked food.

My wife got me a MES 30 for Xmas and it was huge surprise for me. My first go was a 9lb bone in pork shoulder. - did the yellow mustard thing ( who knew?!?!? ) and used a Cabellas store brand Mountain bourbon rub cut with about 1/3 brown sugar, cracked black pepper and some extra garlic. Cooked for 4 hours at 270 to an internal temp of 164, wrapped in foil and dropped temp to 220 and cooked for about 6.5 more hours to an internal temp of 192. Let it rest for about 45 minutes and then pulled it apart with a couple of forks ( it was so tender I could have used spoons at this point ) added some of the drippings back into the mix and served - it was awesome!!! All I could think to myself is, wow, I was paying how much for pulled pork at the local BBQ joint, and it wasn't even as good as this.

After my buddies heard my first run was successful, he let me know I owed him some ribs since he was the one that went and picked this thing up on black Friday for my wife while we were out of town around thanksgiving.

The plan was Ribs, and more pork in case the ribs faltered. Ribs were done 3-2-1-ish method - used the melted butter routine on them to hold the rub ( same mountain bourbon cut I used for shoulder ) Did St Louis style and left all the extra meat on ( why... cuz it's extra meat!) These turned out great as well, I did run smoke in the last hour of the 3-2-1 method, I think I will skip that next time, as they had a pretty heavy smokey flavor - wife doesn't like heavy smoke. ( I was fine with it... more ribs for me to eat )

Once the ribs were done, I threw a 6lb boneless picnic cut on there in hopes of having enough time to get it done before we had people over for New Years. This one I did a little different. Injected with a honey terriyaki and pineapple juice mixture, then studded it with chunks of garlic and pineapple. Then rubbed it with yellow mustard base - used cracked black peppercorn, sea salt, and brown sugar for the rub. This one smoked for 6-7 hours with an elevated temp around 255 the whole time.- not having followed a recipe or normal instructions I was worried about this one. It was a hit, the pork was a little more firm, so it definitely took the forks to tear it apart, but it had good texture and very good flavor. It was dubbed Hawaiian pork by my wife.

It was great seeing a dozen people eating on BBQ and the tops on the sauce bottles never came off.

Thanks everyone for your wisdom!

Styg

and this is the last of the pig sitting on my desk for lunch today

Good deal! I have the MES 30 myself & use it all the time 
smile.gif
  I actually have some pork & salt in it right now... Sammies look mighty tasty. I'd say you're hooked! 
thumb1.gif

that sounds delish! i think my MES was the best purchase i made all of last year. i went with the MES over any other model because of the amount of owners on this forum. so i knew if anything went wrong or if i had questions of any kind that i would have some help. so far no problems and it hasnt disappointed me yet. i will probably upgrade to the 40 sometime this year or the next so i can get more ribs in it!

going to try and smoke a 7lb chuck roast in it this weekend.  Plans are to inject with beef broth, stud with Garlic and do a black pepper, salt, and onion power rub, with maybe a little chili or cumin in there...  I will be sure to post the results.

Styg

The MES certainly won't disappoint it put out some good food. As long as you are coking by internal temp of meat you will get a good end product. Sounds like you aren't afraid to venture out and experiment with different flavor profiles so you are well on your way.

Congrats

stygshore, nice writeup about your success with the MES 30!  Welcome to SMF and thanks for posting some Qview Pics.

Sounds like your making good Q cause the neighbors want some.

I tried the Ribs on my MES 40 New Years day , I did the 2-2-1 at 225-250 but they did not have much smoke on them and was not tasty , I used Mesquite chips all thru the process adding half a handful every 30 minutes ,I just put rub on them only , can you let me know on what steps you did with your ribs.

Hey smokingvic, just curious if you had water in the water pan. I haven't tried ribs but I have done lots in the oven both rubbing and slow cooking in the oven and marinading then finishing in the oven. Not sure why they wouldn't take the smoke...did it seem to be smoking well? Give me some more details and I might have some suggestions....

Good afternoon mvincent42 , yes I did have water in the pan and yes it was having a steady TBS all through the process ,I also had two other meat probes going to monitor the temp.this was my third time using this so I know I have a lot of learning yet , where or how can I get some input on how to smoke anything on this mes 40 .

Mines a mes 30 but I would think same concepts. I have a serious man crush on mine. Check on the link humdinger posted or even just post a new thread with your problems with the 40. I can't imagine anything not turning out in mine. I do smoke lower temp generally 200* to 225*. Even my first smoke (meatloaf) turned out amazing. Was it just ribs that weren't good? What else have you tried? I would love to help if I can.

I tried chicken quarters before the ribs and they too did not come out tasty, had enough smoke going but they did not have the smoke flavor as they should , I did them on the second and third racks , same with the ribs.

Dude, that's strange man I wish I could help. I found a thread that might help you.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...g-as-you-make-smoke-your-meat-will-take-smoke

Chef jimmyj (the first post after the survey) has helped me out a lot with questions I have had over the past 2 months. I would pm him if this thread doesn't answer your questions. He's a good guy and really seems to know his stuff.

Good luck man! The final product is worth it when you get it!

I tried the Ribs on my MES 40 New Years day , I did the 2-2-1 at 225-250 but they did not have much smoke on them and was not tasty , I used Mesquite chips all thru the process adding half a handful every 30 minutes ,I just put rub on them only , can you let me know on what steps you did with your ribs.
Just from the description here, if you are talking about Pork Baby Back Ribs, there should have been plenty of smoke flavor, especially using Mesquite. Are you used to really hard core smoke flavor? Many guys have complained that after a day tending the Smoker and smelling the smoke in the air and on themselves they become desensitized and find the Q too mild tasting. Do leftovers taste smokier to you in the following days?
Good afternoon mvincent42 , yes I did have water in the pan and yes it was having a steady TBS all through the process ,I also had two other meat probes going to monitor the temp.this was my third time using this so I know I have a lot of learning yet , where or how can I get some input on how to smoke anything on this mes 40 .
 Any meat you wish to smoke has been done hundreds of times before and doing a search with the name of the meat and MES will get you MES specific threads...Example: In the search bar I typed Pulled Pork + MES and got the following result...http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/newsearch/?search=pulled+pork++Mes&type=all
I tried chicken quarters before the ribs and they too did not come out tasty, had enough smoke going but they did not have the smoke flavor as they should , I did them on the second and third racks , same with the ribs.
This is pretty baffling as it sounds like you are doing everything correctly. Maybe some Pics of the inside of your MES and the Vent with smoke being generated will give us more to go by...JJ

Is there a certain way the MES has to be facing so the wind does not blow the heat or smoke away from the meat , the vent side versus the chip loader side or the window side or the back side , the vent is on the side not on top , just a thought ????  Another thought is how should the temp. set , if I set it to 225 it shuts off at 225 but still go higher to maybe 230-235 and than goes back on at 223 , my question is what temp. should it be set to maintain the 225 , should i set it at 215 to maintain the 225 recommended ???

Last edited:
Your vent should be away from the wind. The Temp swing is normal. The Coil will be on until the set point is reached then shuts off. But because the the coil takes a few minutes to cool down the heat continues to rise, usually about 10*. Using a Verified accurate Thermometer, chose you set point, say 225*F, and let it cycle between 223* and 235*F. It is the relative average of 225*F we are looking for...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky