Newbie Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

az_redneck

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 8, 2006
Casa Grande, AZ
OK..My wonderful wife purchased a smoker for me for Jesus' Birthday. (His BD and I get presents..How cool is that?)

Anyway, she got me a Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain propane smoker. I knew there was a reason I love her. I'm a newbie at smoking, so I need to ask a few questions..

Here are a couple of questions: What happens to the drippings when you smoke in the smoker? Do you have a drip pan or do you let it fall into the water pan below?

Also, how often do you clean your smokers? After every session or do you consider it "seasoned" and not clean it out?

Thanks in advance..

Just when you think you got em figured out.. they go and buy ya a smoker.. Congrats on the new cool tool!

I have never cleaned mine (inside wise) and as for the drippings it's up to you. I usually let em fall where they will, but you can put a catch pan under the meat if you're gonna make a gravy or sauce with it.

It's your world. If the meat is good and you're happy.. you must have done it right.

Keep Smokin

Az_Redneck- My GOSM has a drip pan that came with the unit. Every couple of smokes I'll pull it out and use a plastic putty knife to scrape the pan out.

Not sure where your wife got yours, but if it's a unit from Wal-mart, they don't always come with all the bells and whistles. If ya know what I mean!

And now that you have a propane unit, don't forget to drop in at the gas burner forum. :D

Yep..It's from Wally World. They were totally sold out one night and the next, they had it "In Stock"..Must have got the ship in from China..

Is this thing going to be a pain in the rump roast to assemble?

Take your time and make sure everything is squared and level before you tighten everything up.

Ben Lang suggests spraying the inside of your smoker with water after every cook, but before it cools down. The steam cleans everything.

I don't know how this would work for smaller cookers. Anyone have any insight on that?

If the inside of teh smoker has a LOT of buildup, then I spray with oven cleaner. The grates I try to keep clean, after every cook.

I hope you did the right thing and got something other than a vacum cleaner for her present. If my wife got me a new smoker, I would get her a new car, house, etc. . .

I would refrain from using harsh chemicals (i.e. - oven cleaner) on the inside cooking chamber. "Simple Green" is a non-toxic, bio-degradable degreaser that works well.

I clean the racks of all my Smokers after each use. Dependent on the amount of food cooked usually dictates whether a cleaning is due or not. Remember, a Cooker is not a Grill, therefore intense heat will not burn off left behind pieces of food that can turn into a "Science Project". Use common sense - if there is food and grease build up...........clean it! Always spray or wipe down the inside after each cleaning with cooking oil (and don't forget the hinges!).

Jeff

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky