Newbie question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KristiG

Original poster
Jul 13, 2020
I am new to the group and have already found the info helpful! Do you recommend covering the flame broiler cover plate with foil to keep it clean? And would it be the whole thing?

I Cooked chicken thighs the other day that had marinated and it made a mess. Plus I followed a recipe that said cook at 400 which was way too high! So definitely moving to the lower and slower method.

Is it a pitboss? I have an Austin xl that has the sliding flame grate. I cover the entire heat shield in foil for easier cleaning. Never cover in foil if the flame grate is open though. Will burn straight through it

400 is not high at all, just don't place the bird bits right over the flames.
I do spatchcocked birds starting as hot as I can get a small Weber full of charcoal, which I guess is 600/700, as soon as I place the bird I install the lid and squeeze down the vents to around 1/3rd.
About 45 minutes later I have a delicious bird ready to go.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky