Newbie needs lots of help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

donkeyboi

Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
Hi all,

I'm a single male living in Nashville, TN. I purchased a Brinkmann Gourmet Electric smoker 11 years ago and have never used it! Last week-end at the end of a fantastic canoe trip I volunteered to smoke something, for a mixed crowd of about 12 adults, this week-end. . (I musta smoked something on the trip). Anyway, could someone please advise as to what I might prepare? I'm gonna do some beer butt chickens on a separate grill as I don't think the Brinkmann can cook enough at one time for that size crowd. I was thinking ribs as I have two Weber rib racks. I also have a pocelain coated Grill Wok and was thinking about doing some veggies at the same time as the ribs. Suggestions? Tips?

Thanks,

Mike

welcome, I guess I would add if you have the time you can try a pork butt, they take a long time but are pretty hard to mess up in my experience and feed a pretty large group.

Mike welcome to SMF glad you joined us. After 11 years I'd say its time to get that smoker out and crank it up
icon_lol.gif
You'll find lots of good info and some great recipes here. Maybe look at the ABT's and Fatties or even a pork butt. Whatever you decide to smoke you can more than likely find a thread with a recipe here. Have fun and happy smoking.
ABT's
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...play.php?f=176

Fatties
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...play.php?f=175

Butt
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=57139

Hello Mike, and welcome to the SMF. You'll have good input on your menu.

Man.... just take your pick. There is so much info here it will take years to try it all out. Beware..... I had an Electric Brinkman that had been sitting in the barn so long the box had rotted off. That's where I started. Now I have two ECBs, Masterbuilt Natural Gas Vertical, a 40" MES and I just picked up an Oklahoma Joe stick burner. This is an illness. Have fun!

Welcome aboard! All the info you need is here, just ask and someone will know the answer!

I also vote for fatties. Lots of flavor combinations, easy to make a couple different kinds. They don't take up that much space and don't take too long to cook-relatively speaking. Good luck with the smoke! Take a few pictures too.

Welcome to the SMF. I vote for fatties, almost impossible to screw up and everyone loves them. But there is sure nothing wrong with ribs either. Hope your first smoke is a huge success.

Warning .... a huge successful smoke will almost certainly cause everyone to designate you the official chef and you will get stuck with the BBQ duty every time thereafter.

Wow! Thanks to all for the welcome. And thanks for all the great suggestions. I like the 3-2-1 method, gonna go with that and ribs as I've already said to much and they are expected on the menu. I'll post the results after Saturday. The bad news is that all the invitees are long time friends and some family members, so they will be very frank and honest. The good news is, they all drink too much and their judgement may be seriously impaired!! Back to my research. Gotta find out about fatties!

Thanks again,

Mike

Welcome to SMF Mike. You got yardbird on the grill, fatties on the smoker so go ahead and leap in with both feet and make some ABT's. They is a section about those also. Also make your own rub for the ribs and really impress your drunks.....I mean guest.
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky