Newbie needs help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

russki1313

Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
I have a propane smoker the kind you can get at walmart for around $150.
My problem is getting the thing to actually produce smoke.
I fill the tray with water, and put soaked chips in the smoking box but it doens't smoke. It takes literally about 2hrs to get it barely going.
What am i doing wrong??? Better yet, how do i properly use a propane smoker?
Anything will help!!!

just put the chips in without soaking them or get bigger chunks of wood soaked, what make is your smoker

First, welcome to the SMF! Plenty of helpful people to be sure!

Dumb question number 1; did you have the chip tray in the unit while it was coming to temp or did you put in in after? If you had it in there from the beginning then the next question has to be to what temp did you get the smoker to (assuming the chip tray is below the water tray)?

What distance is the chip tray from the burner and if it's too far can you get it lower to increase the heat on the tray?

From what I have seen of those units it doesn't take much heat to get it smoking.

Yes i did have the chip tray in the smoker.
As for the distance its a couple of inches i would assume.
Also how wet/how much soaking is neccessary if i buy the bagged chips from walmart or bass pro shope?
Also do i have to use chunks?

don't soak your chips like what was previously stated. And one trick you can do to get it smoking it to open the door and crank up the flame. What till they get going pretty good then turn it down and close the door. If you can answer the questions above it would help to find out what you can do different next time also. good luck and welcome to smf

No I don't think you have to use chunks with that smoker. to get a smoke from a lower heat you can use sawdust or small chunks.

First off would you please stop by Roll Call and introduce yoursel properly and we can give you a big welcome that we like to give new members. As far as your smoke delimma you should try using dry chips or chunks. You don't have to use chunks if you don't want to. Chips would or should smoke faster then chunks. The next question is like mac said how far is the chips away from the flame and are they the closest thing to the flame? it should be (and I'm not standing there so theses might sound dumb) fire, chips and water pan.

I have just bought a Gsom and had the same problem you had with my first smoke. The second time I put a mixture of dry chunks and chips in with very hot water in the water pan. Got smoke within 20 minutes and it lasted too long.
The third time, half filled with chips only and very hot water in the water pan.... perfect,
Hope this helps.

Clive.

I too have a gosm gasser, and have to say the learning curve was quite steep initially.
My first advice is that the water pan is highly over-rated. it holds the temp down in the smoker big time. You might want to leave it out, or try filling it with sand (to help stabilize the temp) and not put it in the gosm until you had a little smoke showing.

And for sure...NEVER soak your chunks or chips with a gosm...just asking for trouble.

Good luck my friend, and good smoking.

Cut down a coffee can or something similar and put your wood in that, those wood pans sometimes are so thick that it has been described as forever and a half to get smoke

Thanks guys will try the coffee pot advice tomorrow.
Also how much chips do you think i should use?
And from the previous post i take it they should be dry right?

yes , use dry chips or a combination of chips and chunks
I cut all my own and throw a little sawdust in with it. that gets the smoke going early. turn the burner up with the door open as previously stated that will get the smoke going quicker. then close the door and adjust burner to desired temp. use as much chips or chunks as you need to get the desired amount of smoke. I have a pan in mine thats about twice the size of the stock one and I fill it up for a nice long smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky