Newbie here w/ basic bacon question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ty520

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 25, 2021
Wife bought me a Masterbuilt Adventure Series Electric smoker for Xmas.

I plan to christen my new smoker with an attempt at a basic Bacon recipe.

I bought a copy of Ruhlman's "Charcuterie" book as a guide since it seems he's pretty well-respected. His recipe was for a large batch for multiple slabs of bacon, and measured in ounces, whereas other recipes measured by volume, and only made enough cure for a single batch of bacon - however, their ratios/ proportions seemed to coincide with Ruhlman's.

i was hoping to go over my understanding of the process for a basic hot smoked bacon process and get a thumbs up/down from you guys to make sure I am doing things properly. my biggest concern is if i am using too much or too little cure.

cure recipe:
-16 ounces kosher salt
-8 ounces brown sugar
-2 ounces PP#1

1. wash and dry my 3# slab of belly
2. dredge the belly on all sides with about 1/4 cup of cure mix, rubbing thoroughly into all crevices
3. put in 2.5gal bag w/ an additional (is this necessary?) 1/4 cup cure mix and work the extra cure throughout the bag and belly, and place in fridge.
4. flip each day for 7-10 days until firm
5. rinse thoroughly
6. cut off and cook a sample slice to check saltiness.
7. if too salty, soak in cold water for 30-60 minutes to extract excess salt
8. dry belly and rest in fridge overnight
9. smoke on rack at 200*F until internal temp reaches 150*F
10. trim skin (any suggestions with what to do with the skin? )

Now, for some questions:

-approximately how long should it take for a 3# belly to finish?
-Can I use my Taylor instant digital thermometer to monitor temperature, or will the wire interfere with the door closure?
-How much wood chips should i use for a single 3# belly?

Wife bought me a Masterbuilt Adventure Series Electric smoker for Xmas.

I plan to christen my new smoker with an attempt at a basic Bacon recipe.

I bought a copy of Ruhlman's "Charcuterie" book as a guide since it seems he's pretty well-respected. His recipe was for a large batch for multiple slabs of bacon, and measured in ounces, whereas other recipes measured by volume, and only made enough cure for a single batch of bacon - however, their ratios/ proportions seemed to coincide with Ruhlman's.

i was hoping to go over my understanding of the process for a basic hot smoked bacon process and get a thumbs up/down from you guys to make sure I am doing things properly. my biggest concern is if i am using too much or too little cure.

cure recipe:
-16 ounces kosher salt
-8 ounces brown sugar
-2 ounces PP#1

1. wash and dry my 3# slab of belly
2. dredge the belly on all sides with about 1/4 cup of cure mix, rubbing thoroughly into all crevices
3. put in 2.5gal bag w/ an additional (is this necessary?) 1/4 cup cure mix and work the extra cure throughout the bag and belly, and place in fridge.
4. flip each day for 7-10 days until firm
5. rinse thoroughly
6. cut off and cook a sample slice to check saltiness.
7. if too salty, soak in cold water for 30-60 minutes to extract excess salt
8. dry belly and rest in fridge overnight
9. smoke on rack at 200*F until internal temp reaches 150*F
10. trim skin (any suggestions with what to do with the skin? )

Now, for some questions:

-approximately how long should it take for a 3# belly to finish?
-Can I use my Taylor instant digital thermometer to monitor temperature, or will the wire interfere with the door closure?
-How much wood chips should i use for a single 3# belly?

I had about 8 pounds of pork butt rot on me using Ruhlman's recipe (plus, to be fair, I think my fridge was too warm). It wasn't precise enough, and when I looked back at my measurements, it wasn't enough cure. This site, which has been shared many times in this forum, gives you the precision you need http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html -- I'll let more experienced folks here comment on the rest, but two red flags to me is the imprecise 1/4 cure mixture, and then throwing in another 1/4 on top of that.

This is a great article that covers the topic of curing, and provides a calculator which I use whenever I am concocting a cure. I haven't used the other reference mentioned above, but if it's widely used on the forum it's likely a solid reference.

Reactions: jcoleman66
I had about 8 pounds of pork butt rot on me using Ruhlman's recipe (plus, to be fair, I think my fridge was too warm). It wasn't precise enough, and when I looked back at my measurements, it wasn't enough cure. This site, which has been shared many times in this forum, gives you the precision you need http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html -- I'll let more experienced folks here comment on the rest, but two red flags to me is the imprecise 1/4 cure mixture, and then throwing in another 1/4 on top of that.

yeah, i was concerned about the impreciseness of it too, but his book came highly recommended - very adamant about not overthinking things. Not a single recipe i came across in books instructed to mix the cure based on meat weight, just as ratios relative no one another.

I would suggest the diggingdog farm cure calculator also, leaves no doubt if you're using correct amounts! It uses grams, so your 3lb slab is 1362 grams (1lb is 454 grams). His calculator is set using 2% salt and 1% sugar.
You would use
3.4 gr cure # 1
24.05 gr salt
13.62 gr sugar

If you don't have one, I would get a small scale that is accurate to hundreds (.00) of a grams, good for measuring small amounts.

Time wise don't be in a rush to hot smoke it, you'll end up with bacon without much smoke...many cold smoke their bellies up to 12 hours or more. Look for Bearcarver Bearcarver s step by steps, he gives very detailed instructions for curing and smoking bacon...but he uses tenderquick not cure #1, they are not the same or interchangeable! Another good post is disco disco I believe he has a video on his process.

You are correct in doing a fry test after curing and before smoking in case it's too salty to your liking.

Ryan

There is Bears step-by-step. Bookmark it so you can reference it easily. Its my go to if I have questions.
Jim

Reactions: Brokenhandle
smoked the slab of bacon this weekend - turned out quite well! Soaked for 30 minutes after washing off the cure, but was too salty for me, as others mentioned above. will soak for a full hour next time.

Reserved half of it for lardons

0308210746d.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky