Newbie here, two smokes in two days.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Interesting development. Neighbor told me the pics he showed me were for a Propane smoker, not the electric. So, this am, I searched and searched for interior pics of the smoker when new. Only have found one site so far, and it appears the interior is bare metal yet the interior of the door is painted black. see attached. Still does not explain how some of the "stuff" on the inside could not be scrapped off with a razor blade. Again, it was not greasy like "seasoning" or crispy like creosote. and even after pressure washing, some areas did not come off. Additionally, some areas on the interior that were able to be peeled did actually peel around edges to outside. I am not too concerned.

One thing I do note is that the door is not tight on this. I am not sure if I damaged the hinges when cleaning it or or if came to me this way. When cleaning, I had it on its back with door hanging open, so I may have bent them or the thread-o-lets in the wall.

I did buy a remote temp monitor for future. Also, finally had some of the brisket I smoked. Not excellent, but the flavor was great, just a bit tough. I pulled it at 193 deg. I understand smoking is a different mindset from just grilling, but curious if I should have pulled sooner. Granted, it was an old piece of meat that was destined for the Insta-Pot before we got the smoker.

Most interesting. I wonder if it was a mistake in manufacturing?

about 2/3 way down is the MB20073716. Interior of door is black.

Also, here is a review photo, from another site, showing obviously a brand new smoker staged for the shoot. The interior is clearly black.

Now I see what the problem is:
Those pics you are now showing aren't MES units, so I can't tell you much about them.
Those are some kind of little portable thing, also made by Masterbuilt.
I've never even seen or run into one of them personally.
So I couldn't tell you what color they are inside.
When I see "Masterbuilt" and Electric in the same sentence, I automatically think it's an MES, but once in a rare occasion it isn't.
No MES units are black inside, but that thing could be, because it isn't an MES.

Bear

See attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20200706_205823350-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200706_205823350-01.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200706_205829220-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200706_205829220-01.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200706_205901165-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200706_205901165-01.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 6
Those are uninsulated analog portable smokers . I've seen them at Lowes , they are black on the inside when new . Not sure if it's paint or some type of coating . 1400 watt heating element .

See attached.

Chopsaw got you covered on your "Analog Portable".
Sorry for the confusion: I am the Group leader for "Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse (MES)", and whenever someone has a question, I do my best to help them.
However occasionally the question is of a Masterbuilt Analog or Portable, or Gas Smoker without my knowing it. So my brain being one track, on the subject of "MES Smokers" kicks into gear, and until I realize it's not an MES that we're dealing with, my answers don't fit with these "Other than MES Units". (Such as No Paint on the inside of Any MES)

I should ask for a full picture of the unit, before I start answering questions, but I figure not all Newbies even have digital cameras. I don't pay attention to "Model Numbers" because Masterbuilt's Model number system is somewhat of a Joke.

Bear

when I first read the model number, I thought it meant it that the particular model was created in 2007, and the 3716 was in reference to perhaps the configuration.

when I first read the model number, I thought it meant it that the particular model was created in 2007, and the 3716 was in reference to perhaps the configuration.

Masterbuilt has been known to give some smokers a particular Model Number, just because of which store they were being ship to, such as "Sams Club".
So when people state the Model number of their Unit, I ask for a picture of the outside & the inside, so I can tell which unit we are dealing with. My answers to some questions depend on which unit it is---Not which store it came from.
I have no knowledge of your Portable Analog Model.

Bear

Taught myself to smoke on a Masterbuilt analog smoker. Put out some good Q on it! If you have any other questions just holler.

As far as your brisket goes I think it was underdone. Start probing it at 195. When it feels like a knife going into hot butter pull it and let it rest for at least an hour before slicing. Seems like my magic number is always 203. Undercooked is tough and chewy. Overcooked is dry and crumbly.

I have heard that before. Next time I will be more patient. Smoking is such a different endeavor than grilling.

Bought a few new toys for the smoker and the grill work.
-AJY Smart Bluetooth wireless Remote digital temperature meter (with 6 probes)
-Digiten Digital Thermostat Outlet Switch Simple-Stage Plug Controller LCD Temperature Control 110V 15A
I disliked the temperature fluctuation on the smoker so I thought I'd try this controller. Also, the ability to check or monitor food temp without have to keep opening the door was a good idea.

Yesterday we smoked 6 chicken thighs and 6 port chops using Apple chips. I started the chicken at about 235 on the controller, the temp stayed within +/- 1-3 deg F. After about 45 minutes, the chicken was up to about 140. I then added the pork and lowered the temp to 225. The food temp monitors worked great.
All told the food turned out great. We used a few different rubs and plain salt & pepper. Chicken and pork were both flavorful and juicy.

One question, Item I did not research. Where to install the probe for the temp controller. I drilled a hole right above the element and located it there. Before I had put the port in, I had the temp probe for the pork just hanging near the top rack. I noted that the temp on the controller, yet the temp reading on the unused probe at the top rack read 285-290. Now I am wondering if I should perhaps relocated the controller probe to middle of smoker wall, between the racks for a more accurate temp.

THoughts.?

One thing I did not think to do, was do a water bath test to see if the wireless temp probes were in agreement with the temperature controller probe. I will do that this week.

Last edited:
Bought a few new toys for the smoker and the grill work.
-AJY Smart Bluetooth wireless Remote digital temperature meter (with 6 probes)
-Digiten Digital Thermostat Outlet Switch Simple-Stage Plug Controller LCD Temperature Control 110V 15A
I disliked the temperature fluctuation on the smoker so I thought I'd try this controller. Also, the ability to check or monitor food temp without have to keep opening the door was a good idea.

Yesterday we smoked 6 chicken thighs and 6 port chops using Apple chips. I started the chicken at about 235 on the controller, the temp stayed within +/- 1-3 deg F. After about 45 minutes, the chicken was up to about 140. I then added the pork and lowered the temp to 225. The food temp monitors worked great.
All told the food turned out great. We used a few different rubs and plain salt & pepper. Chicken and pork were both flavorful and juicy.

One question, Item I did not research. Where to install the probe for the temp controller. I drilled a hole right above the element and located it there. Before I had put the port in, I had the temp probe for the pork just hanging near the top rack. I noted that the temp on the controller, yet the temp reading on the unused probe at the top rack read 285-290. Now I am wondering if I should perhaps relocated the controller probe to middle of smoker wall, between the racks for a more accurate temp.

THoughts.?

One thing I did not think to do, was do a water bath test to see if the wireless temp probes were in agreement with the temperature controller probe. I will do that this week.

I still use my stock MES controller, but if I want my Smoker temp to be the temp I want my meat to be sitting in, I would put the Sensor in the part of the smoker where most of the meat is.

Bear

Yes, I agree. I am going to move it. I will say the new controller worked excellent. Only downside, but not really is it only goes to 248, or so the literature says, but I can certainly make due.

I have about 3 weeks until I graduate high school and seeing all these posts here, I thought I might start smoking cigars on occasion. Little bit of info about me, I have been 18 for about 6 months and I already enjoy vaping (e cigs, like box mods) Last summer one of my older fishing buddies brought 4 cigars over for the weekend.

snaptube vidmate word to pdf

So why does your Profile say you're 28 years old?

BirthdayFeb 1, 1992 (Age: 28)

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky