Newbie Fuel Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

andrewjc83

Original poster
Apr 30, 2020
Windsor, ON / Detroit, MI
Hi all, I have seasoned and done a couple dry runs on m OK Joe Highland. RTV mods worked well, still need CC gasket it seems.
I also used a hack to raise the charcoal grate, see pics attached. Someday down the road I may get a firebox basket, tuning plates etc...
I have two Thermoworks air/grate probes (and interchangeable meat probe), thanks for suggesting.

Ok, so on my dry runs, I fired one chimney lump, and it barely gets to 200. I am thinking I need to lay a nest of coals down then put fired chimney on top?
Strangely, my chimney end has actually been hotter, say 210 vs 200 firebox side?? What the? I guess maybe it's good they're not 60 degrees off, maybe that'll normalize in higher temps.?
In my research, it's better to overshoot, then tune down to target temp?

I don't yet have a lot of wood, just a couple (overpriced) bags of pecan and hickory chunks so far.
Thinking of maybe looking up a local apple orchard for bulk logs (in Southern Ontario, lots around). Other suggestions helpful here too.

Planning to do a pork butt, or possibly chuck roast for big first cook.
As the temp begins to dip should I:
A- keep it newbie and add fired chimneys of coal? Will this get too hot?
B- Add unlit lump
C- Add chunks as main fuel ( I have heard to preheat them on warming plate, then away from fire if possibe, so they fire fast)
D- Other?
E-None of the above, melt it down and go back to propane lol

Ps- unrelated- Should I use drip trays under roasts to keep smoker clean, I mean under the racks? And added bonus for chuck, catch drippings for gravy?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• bb1.JPG
    bb1.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 13
  • bb2.JPG
    bb2.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 13
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky