Newbie from manila

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ulokai

Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
Hello to everyone! I'm ron from manila, philippines and totally a newbie in smoking as in zero experience lol. Glad to have found this forum while surfin the net trying to learn about smoking. I'm leaning towards creating a DIY smoker as I think ready made smokers are hard to find here or it prolly be expensive due to scarcity. Anyway, I am happy to stumble upon this place and I think I will learn a lot from the members here. Cheers!

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions
Post it and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is
because their are so many different ways to make great Q...
Happy smoken.
David

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from a cloudy, cool with a slight chance of rain East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Ron welcome to SMF as stated lots of great people sharing info. My wive and I have a place in Pasay, hope to visit next year. Check the forums for smoke builds it will give you some ideas.

welcome aboard neighbor. there are a few of us on the forum living here in Philippines. I'm down south just outside of Cagayan de Oro. getting ready to build myself a smoker here. been using a smoke generator and charcoal grill so far. made several good batches of bacon and keilbasa so far. i use wood pellets that i brought in inside balakbayan boxes when i shipped my personal affects. you're correct, i've seen a couple of smokers but they are EXPENSIVE!

Louie

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome
icon_smile.gif
. Have been busy lately so sorry for the late reply. Glad to know some of you are here in PH, that makes asking questions for things particular in PH only much easier. Really appreciate all your comments. I'd probably be camping in the UDS section as I think that suits me. Thanks again, you all have a great day!

welome back  ulokai, don't be a stranger. sometimes folks seem to sign up on a new forum, say hi and then disappear. Yup, smoking here in PH does have a few hurdles to overcome. Nothing too bad though. Smokers being the first one. If you got a welder, a UDS is a good way to go. Me personally, I'm gonna build a upright. we loved the access we had to everything inside with our mes30 back in the states. gonna mimic it here, just BIGGER. 
grilling_smilie.gif

Louie

Last edited:
@louie I don't have a welder yet, but it's definitely on the wish list 'cause I've some house repairs that need it. But I'll get by with having it done by local fabricator shops here. At the moment I'm looking for the right drum, about and 18-20 inch diameter because that fits my apartment's balcony. I'm currently hunting at junk shops for stainless water tanks coming from old water pumps. I hope I can chance upon the right size but if not, I'll probably be settling for the typical food grade steel drum. Right now, the project is dragging, but I guess patience is a virtue with this hobby, lol.

Just remember when you go to the shopping mall if you aren't parked in the A lot and you aren't parked in the C lot your car is probably in the...

Lmao!

Welcome just joined myself  look forward to your experiences finding supply's in the Philippines wife's family has a place in Bacolod and i really wont to make a smoker there lechon is ok but...sometimes you just want to smoke some...and enjoy ...a few...San Migs

@dave, yup lechon is good especially around the mid part of PH, but I wanna experience the smoked brisket I see only in tv food shows and some movies (The Chef movie particularly). I've seen those before but was less interested then, but now it's become an itch that's hard to bear haha. And yes san miguel is something my uncle (he's from washington) really enjoyed when he was still able to drink beer back then, dirt cheap he often says :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky