Newbie about to purchase first smoker (MES) – advice wanted!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My MES 40 Gen #1, when new, had an imprint that showed up during smoking too. It was a square box-like figure at an angle to the window (Like something was set on the glass at an angle before assembly, that stained it). IT went away when washed, but came back during every smoke. I can't tell you exactly when but it eventually went away sometime in the 6 years I was using it.

Bear[/QUOTE]Ok. I've been trying different things. I'll try ash to see if it has a scrubbing effect then razor blade.
-Kurt

My MES 40 Gen #1, when new, had an imprint that showed up during smoking too. It was a square box-like figure at an angle to the window (Like something was set on the glass at an angle before assembly, that stained it). IT went away when washed, but came back during every smoke. I can't tell you exactly when but it eventually went away sometime in the 6 years I was using it.

Bear
Ok. I've been trying different things. I'll try ash to see if it has a scrubbing effect then razor blade.
-Kurt[/QUOTE]
When glazing comes from the factory ( at least on construction site ) it has a small square piece of cork stuck to one side of the glass , 5/8 or 3/4 square . Sounds like that's what was on there , and you have residue from the glue . Light blade scraper wipe with white vinegar .

Ok. I've been trying different things. I'll try ash to see if it has a scrubbing effect then razor blade.
-Kurt
When glazing comes from the factory ( at least on construction site ) it has a small square piece of cork stuck to one side of the glass , 5/8 or 3/4 square . Sounds like that's what was on there , and you have residue from the glue . Light blade scraper wipe with white vinegar .[/QUOTE]It's weird. When the window is clean it's smooth no residue but it fogs fast over 90% of the window and acts like there is an antifog clear coating in a couple spots. The clear spots are great It's the fast hazing that's a pain. I'm sure MB has had calls on this.
-Kurt

When glazing comes from the factory ( at least on construction site ) it has a small square piece of cork stuck to one side of the glass , 5/8 or 3/4 square . Sounds like that's what was on there , and you have residue from the glue . Light blade scraper wipe with white vinegar .
It's weird. When the window is clean it's smooth no residue but it fogs fast over 90% of the window and acts like there is an antifog clear coating in a couple spots. The clear spots are great It's the fast hazing that's a pain. I'm sure MB has had calls on this.
-Kurt[/QUOTE]

That square I used to have was wider than the window & half the height.
It was as if somebody set something across the window at about a 30° angle & it left an image. It took at least a year or two to go away.

Bear

Bear is the acknowledged expert on MES smokers and I would never contradict his knowledge on the subject.
I'm speaking from personal experience with MY MES 30 Gen 1. Like the ads always say 'results may vary". LOL.
I could never keep my AMNPS burning in my MES. I followed ALL the suggestion posted here with no success. So I did the mailbox mod, put legs on the AMNPS for better air flow and never looked back. So my advice?? Try the AMNPS in the MES and if it works, great. If it doesn't, then try the mailbox. Exactly--My thoughts too!!
As for the value of the window. If it's in the budget, fine. I don't have a window. When Miss Linda bought me my MES for Father's Day times were tough in the Hibbert House, so no window. To be honest I don't miss it. Kinda like the old days, before I had air conditioning in my first car---I didn't miss it one bit. Once I had it in my next car I could never go without it again.

Once my food's in the smoker, i don't spritz or baste so the door never gets opened until it's time to remove the food. I just trust my therms and cook by temp. When it comes to smoke, I always just stick my nose in what's coming out the exhaust to check the smell. I could go two weeks without using my smoker, and it would still smell like smoke at my top vent. I used to try to look down the hole, but that's not easy on the eyeball. So much easier to see the amount of smoke through the glass. On a perfect day I can't even see the smoke, but if I can smell it then I'm happy.
Until you can afford to upgrade, there's no reason not to get a second inexpensive remote therm. Then use one to monitor cook chamber temp and one as a meat probe. Just be sure to check the accuracy of both therm by boil testing them. Then ALWAYS use the same probe with the same therm. If they aren't completely accurate then you know how much to compensate for each therm.
Gary
Bear

thanks for all the advice on smokers folks! Ok, so in terms of accessories, i'm def. gonna get the AMNPS. For pellets - what are peoples favorites for flavor? I think most of the time I'm going to be using the smoker for ribs/pulled pork/brisket/sausage - what do people like to use for those? (remember, never smoked before, so complete fish out of water!)

Don't get analysis paralysis! Just pick some! Only you will know what flavor YOU like. The only way you will know is to try.

thanks for all the advice on smokers folks! Ok, so in terms of accessories, i'm def. gonna get the AMNPS. For pellets - what are peoples favorites for flavor? I think most of the time I'm going to be using the smoker for ribs/pulled pork/brisket/sausage - what do people like to use for those? (remember, never smoked before, so complete fish out of water!)

Most types of Smoke is good---Many like The "mixes" Todd sells at Amazing Smoker.
90% of my Smokes are done with "Hickory", because you can actually tell it was Smoked.
IMHO the important thing is "Don't get Cherry Pellets" unless you plan on mixing them with another flavor. Cherry Pellets are a problem in the AMNPS (They just don't burn good). If you want to use Cherry, get some Cherry Sawdust.

Bear

ok folks - I pulled the trigger. thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it. As I mentioned, hitting budget was really important to me, which I just about did, less than $4 over - here's what I went with:

Gen 1. 30" unit, comes with probe (not expecting much there), rib rack, cover, and sausage hanger: $129 + tax, free in-store pickup = $141.

ThemoPro TP-12 dual probe wireless, sale price $36, minus 20% forum discount, no tax, free shipping = $29.60

AMPS 5x8 prefilled with Hickory, $29.99 plus tax, free shipping = $32.68

Grand Total = $203.28

Hopefully this should get me off and running!!! I dare say i'll be back shortly for tips on using it!!! Now the agonizing 5-8 business day while it all gets to me...!!
cheers,
Matt

That's Great Matt !!!
All that for $203 is Awesome!!!
We're all here for you, and I guess you know the Link to my Step by Steps Index is at the bottom of ALL of my Posts.
Every Smoke on there was done in either an MES30 or an MES40.

Bear

Home Depot yesterday had their Mes 30 Gen 2.5 bluetooth @ $299.00 with leg kit. Wow what a rip off. Sam's seems to have the best price on the 40". The 30" on display had Masterbuilt Pro on the glass and it was up on a shelf so you could see what looked like LED lights underneath the overhang above the door. If those are lights does it work well being outside the smoker vs. inside like the gen 1?
-Kurt

Home Depot yesterday had their Mes 30 Gen 2.5 bluetooth @ $299.00 with leg kit. Wow what a rip off. Sam's seems to have the best price on the 40". The 30" on display had Masterbuilt Pro on the glass and it was up on a shelf so you could see what looked like LED lights underneath the overhang above the door. If those are lights does it work well being outside the smoker vs. inside like the gen 1?
-Kurt

Those lights don't thrill me, but neither did the one inside of the older models.
The one inside would always get smoked up, and the one outside on the #2.5 doesn't light anything inside up.
I have pretty bright ceiling lights above mine on my front porch smoking & grilling area.

Bear

Outstanding Matt! Great deals all the way around. You are going to love it. And you certainly know how to shop!
Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing your smokes.
Erik

Congratulations on the new smoker Matt. I agree with Bear stay away from straight cherry wood pellets.

For the glass issue - on my pellet stove(home heating) I use a product called Rutland Conditioning Glass Cleaner. It's made for Stoves, grills, and hearth's. It's basically a blueish cream that cleans the window spotless, and helps reduce the amount of creosote, carbon and other residues from the window. I got it from the pellet store where I buy my heating pellets. It's not perfect, but I have noticed a big difference in window clarity.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky