New Years Eve Prime Rib.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nate-73

Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
Bought a 7lb prime rib and will be smoking it using bearcarver's thread. Quick question, it's 8 degrees outside here in Indiana. Will that affect the smoker much?

Going to start it about 2:00pm so I'll post pics shortly.

Bone-in or boneless? What time is your dinner planned for? Roast should rest 20 min or so before slicing? OT will have an effect but kinda depends on equipment. This Indiana temp will cause my MAK to fluctuate 7º or so but easy to compensate for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nate-73
The OT will definitely be effected may have to baby sit the cooker a lot more.
I'm sure your using a meat thermometer
125F MR
135 MR to MW
If it's done way ahead of time, don't worry wrap it up in a few towels and if you have a cooler, put it in the cooler.
It will keeps and stay warm very nicely.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out

It's a bone-in prime rib and we are planning on eating around 7 tonight. I do have a meat thermometer and will def keep close eye on it. I'm hoping to get it to medium rare. Gonna take it out of the fridge in a bit and let it set before putting in the smoker. Seems like I read somewhere that your should do that. Not sure about how much truth there is to that. Thanks for your input

Beef is the one meat can that sit out safely. Getting it closer to room temp before cooking/smoking effects the time it takes to get it to final IT. If it hasn't been out at least 2 hours, I would think about getting it on now, assuming you are intending to smoke at 225º. Everyones definition of med-rare can vary. We usually get ours to an IT of 130º then pull and rest 20-30min.

The effects of ambient temp really depends on your smoker. Is it insulated ? If it's a charcoal or stick burner, you'll need more fuel to get it to temp, i.e. more lit coals or additional splits to start. If it's gas of electric, it depends on what it's upper limit is. Say that when it's 80 degrees outside, the highest your smoker will do is 300. Subtract the 70 degrees, then your smoker will probably only get up to 230ish.

IMG_0017.JPG
I have an mes30 electric smoke. I found it on sale at Walmart for $99 after my Cajun injector electric smoker stopped working. I had the roast out for about 1.5 hour and then put it in. I have it set to 230 degrees but will monitor it in case I need to make adjustments.

You should not have a problem. I did a pork butt Thursday night with the OT 11 degrees when I started and dropping to 8 degrees for the low and my MES Gen 1 never missed a beat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky