New Year's Eve/Day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
New Year's Eve is always a nice dinner for us to close out the year and it usually involves surf n' turf. My friend Robert aka tx smoker tx smoker was gracious enough to send me a few goodies for Christmas. So for NYE dinner, I thawed out some Certified Piedmontese Beef Filet Mignons. They were accompanied by broiled lobster tail, baked potatoes and mushrooms.

I started by wrapping the filets with some of my homemade bacon and just seasoned with salt/pepper.
IMG_9915.jpg

I decided to pan sear these and throw them in the oven since it was raining out. Here they are prior to going in the oven.
IMG_9918.jpg

Out of the oven and resting. I seared each side for about a minute in a mixture of oil and butter, definitely open a window!
IMG_9919.jpg

I usually steam lobster tail but since the stove was occupied with the filets and mushrooms, I decided to broil them instead. Tail meat was butterflied and placed on top the shell. I brushed each tail with a mixture of lemon, garlic, dijon, butter and garlic.
IMG_9917.jpg

When I pulled the filets off the CI pan, I deglazed the browned bits with a little bit of beef broth and stirred in a pat of butter. This quick pan sauce was then added to the finished mushrooms. This elevated them to another level.
IMG_9920.jpg

My finished plate.
IMG_9925.jpg

And of course a cut shot. Doneness was perfect for me!
IMG_9927.jpg

This was a spectacular meal and we were both stuffed! My wife and I didn't even make it until midnight. We were watching the Yellowstone marathon and both passed out. Our New Year's Day tradition is always pork and sauerkraut. I tried to snap a quick picture but was nudged out of the way by hungry family members. So this blurry picture is all I got.
IMG_9931.jpg

Have a good and prosperous 2023.

Wow Joe!! You did those filets justice. They are perfectly cooked and simply gorgeous. That whole plate is truly drool worthy. Glad you enjoyed the meal. We love the tenderloins but cook them sparingly. Yours were done for a special occasion and that my friend is what it's all about. Beautiful job buddy and happy New Year.

Robert

Reactions: xray
Wow Joe!! You did those filets justice. They are perfectly cooked and simply gorgeous. That whole plate is truly drool worthy. Glad you enjoyed the meal. We love the tenderloins but cook them sparingly. Yours were done for a special occasion and that my friend is what it's all about. Beautiful job buddy and happy New Year.

Robert

Thank you and thanks again for the steaks Robert. I have some more lobster tails in the freezer. I'm going to pair them with some of those awesome ribeyes that you sent me for Valentine's Day. Sure beats a card and chocolate. Happy new year to you as well!

Over the fence and out of the park Joe! Surf and turf done to perfection, great piece of work right there! RAY

Outstanding meal! Will have to try mixing a little dijon in with our garlic lemon butter next time we do tails, sounds great. Nice meal for sure.

Man that’s is just stupendous! That surf and turf could be served in any fine establishment! Yellowstone sure is a bingeable show. Just watched the current seasons mid season finale last night.

Over the fence and out of the park Joe! Surf and turf done to perfection, great piece of work right there! RAY

Thank you Ray, it sure was good and a meal that I know you would love. I could eat my body weight in lobster.

Outstanding meal! Will have to try mixing a little dijon in with our garlic lemon butter next time we do tails, sounds great. Nice meal for sure.

Thank you Edge! The dijon wasn't much, just enough to hold everything together. After I brushed on the mixture, I put a small pad of butter on each tail and a very very light dusting of Old Bay before they went under the broiler. Thanks again!

Man that’s is just stupendous! That surf and turf could be served in any fine establishment! Yellowstone sure is a bingeable show. Just watched the current seasons mid season finale last night.

Thank you Jeff! I'm getting to the point if I go out to eat, it's for some pizza, wings, burgers or something fried. I'm let down anymore when I go to a nice sit down place. And for what you pay, I could make that same meal all week. We're going to watch the season finale of Yellowstone in a bit here. I'm not enjoying this season as compared to the other ones.

That is one excellent looking spread! Nice work bud

Thank you Jake, it definitely was a good meal to close out the year!

Reactions: jcam222
Awesome all around! Those steaks look killer, pair with that delectable lobster and shrooms, you got my attention! Can’t beat the pork and kraut either! Great spread done perfectly! Points for out of the park!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky