New Year's Eve Beef Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mossymo

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 30, 2007
Glenburn, North Dakota
Beef ribs just on the drum smoker.
2.jpg

-----

Were in the drum smoker 3 ½ hours at 325º and here they are after a 1/2 hour rest.
3.jpg

-----

Delicious!
1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I also smoked beef ribs over the New Year's weekend. I've tried smoking them before, and was always disappointed as the ribs I could find had very little meat on them. I finally got to Restaurant Depot and found some of the big boys. The four-rib plates weigh almost 4 lbs.

These were coated with a thin layer of tobasco sauce as a binder for the rub, followed by some kosher salt as a dry brine, then Mixon's short rib rub recipe, applied generously. I smoked them with oak (mostly) and a bit of mesquite. Once they go on, they don't require much attention, only in the last couple of hours did I mist them periodically with beef broth. Total cook time was 8 hours, with the smoker starting out at 225, and gradually increasing to about 310F. I only rested them about 20 minutes, but they were already probe-tender when I pulled them.

They turned out great, finally everything I wanted in a beef rib. Wonderful flavor, just enough smoke, and quite tender. And even after cooking, they're huge.

IMG_1499.jpg IMG_1505.jpg IMG_1507.jpg

Reactions: bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky