New Traeger Timberline 850 Problems

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I just purchased a Traeger Timberline 850. I spent a lot of money to buy Traeger’s top line grill because I am serious about my smoking. I fired it up today for my first smoke. I set it for 235 and it just wouldn’t come to temperature. It kept hovering between 195 and 200. So, I called their support line. A nice young lady, Carolina, took my call and reviewed my problem as they were able to check the WiFi record of my smoke. She kept asking me if I was using Traeger pellets (I was).

Finally, she advised that the problem was the induction fan that I will get in about a week. So here is how it works. I purchased a very expensive top of the line grill. It is defective. I get to wait a week, at least, to have the honour of doing my own repair to their defective machine. Sigh, I guess that is the way of things these days.

I asked if I would get an extension of my warranty to cover the period from when I purchased my grill until I could actually use it. I was advised no because there is a 3 year warranty. I pointed out that everyone else actually had a grill to use for their 3 years. I haven’t even been able to use mine yet my warranty continues to tick away. Sadly, this logic was to no avail.

I had hoped that buying the top of the line from Traeger would be a good experience. So far, not so much.

I will post my assembly video and a review of how it works once I actually get to try it.

Thats a bummer. For the money I would have gone with rectec but I hope that fan is the issue and your happy with it once repaired.

Thanks. Me too. I understand that there may be a problem with a new grill but to not offer a warranty extension when your unit doesn't work from the get go sucks.

I believe I would of told her I'm not a handy man... so therefor please send a new unit and pay for the freight to return this one... Or i'll take a refund and go to the competitor...
I hear you but I really try not to lie. I suspect I will be able to swap the fan out without much difficulty but they should do something to recognize your inconvenience. An extension of the warranty is a pretty minimal request.

Reactions: sawhorseray
That stinks, it sucks to spend your hard earned money on that pellet smoker only to not have it work right out of the bag. Sucks even more to have Traeger send you a part and tell you to fix it yourself. Good luck, I hope it all works out. RAY

That stinks, it sucks to spend your hard earned money on that pellet smoker only to not have it work right out of the bag. Sucks even more to have Traeger send you a part and tell you to fix it yourself. Good luck, I hope it all works out. RAY
Thanks. Hopefully, it won't be a sign of ongoing problems, particularly with what they charge for this unit.

Yeah Disco, they don't exactly give them away, as you well know. I'm not trying to be a bug-a-boo, but I spent a ton of time on the Traeger forum researching their pellet smokers. I didn't get all that wifi stuff with the temp control, and the feeders had way too many problems. I decided to stay away, no regrets, real happy with what I ended up doing. Best of luck, I truly hope everything works out for you. RAY

Reactions: disco
Yeah Disco, they don't exactly give them away, as you well know. I'm not trying to be a bug-a-boo, but I spent a ton of time on the Traeger forum researching their pellet smokers. I didn't get all that wifi stuff with the temp control, and the feeders had way too many problems. I decided to stay away, no regrets, real happy with what I ended up doing. Best of luck, I truly hope everything works out for you. RAY
Thanks, Ray. Fingers are crossed they solve the problem but even if they do, the failure to do anything for me really ticks me off.

For that I amount I would return and get either the rectec or yoder...especially with this kind of service. But I get it, you made a decision and want to see it through.

I would have to call them back and work my way up the .org chart until someone offered some actual customer service. Really seems atrocious to me they offered nothing beyond sending a replacement part.

I would have to call them back and work my way up the .org chart until someone offered some actual customer service. Really seems atrocious to me they offered nothing beyond sending a replacement part.

Was just gonna say the same thing... keep calling until you get satisfaction...

I just google'd the 850. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. I'd be about one tick from loading that puppy up and shipping it back for a refund. You could go any of 3 different ways (other cookers) and be better off if this is Traegers' best product/service? I hope this works out for you. Watching....

I am guessing this was an online purchase that was delivered to you???? Most credit card company's have some sort of purchase protection.

I'd be mad too but any product can have a dud and would rather it happen under warranty vs after, hope they are spot on about whats wrong, seems 1/2 the folks I deal with have no idea whats wrong and have to go ask somebody else. good luck on getting the parts quick and i'm sure it will be fine soon. I'd try some Lumber Jack pellets after you get it running right. have tried several brands and really not found any bad just some better than others.

Disco sorry to hear that,as others have said try getting someone on the top of the ladder.MES is the same sending parts out
Richie

Hopefully once this kink is worked out she be set up for the long haul. Everyone likes dogging Traeger, but I still think they put out a solid product.

Sorry to hear Disco, A pellet grill is in my distant future.

Even if they threw me a container or two of their rub and a coffee mug, I’d be pretty happy, I’m easy to please....but to spend beaucoup bucks on something, you expect it to perform at the price point you paid for it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky