New Toy for Christmas is it for real?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Connecticut
I got this thing for Xmas - just got around to playing with it. It's called a Jerky Shooter. Apparently you make jerky out of hamburger or any ground up meat. Sounds weird to me anyone every hear of this? My sister found it someplace - looks like a glorified caulking gun. I'm not sure if this is one of those jokes from Spenser Gifts or if it's for real.

I thought McDonalds made thin hamburgers this could put them outta business!

:lol:

Debi

Most of storebought jerky is made this way.Ive never subscribed to this method but looks eaisier and faster and Id guess you could get whatever taste you wanted out of it.I still perfer tissue jerky,seems to me to be a little more authentic plus I just love playing with my new slicer.David

Seems like hamburger would be awfully fatty for Jerky and fall apart. Guess I'll have to read the instructions - I thought it was a joke my brother-in-law is always teasing me about my endless quest for new DIYer hobbies.

Debi

Now pork I'd be real worried about not cooking first. I can't picture hamburger holding together in thin strips. Gotta read the book I hope it came with.

i have the cheep version of the gun you have debbi, i want to upgrade to yours because i use it soooo much. everyone loves the flavor. matter of fact i am smoking some brisket right now and need something to do while im waiting to put on my next log. maybe a trip to the store is in my plans. thanks for the idea!!!!!

Gee maybe I should apologize to my sister for thinking this thing was a joke. Although the last joke I got they spent a week laughing at me trying to figure it out - maybe we're even?

:twisted:

Debi

I have the Jerky Shooter, also. It great for when you don't have the time to slice up some top or bottom round for jerky but you have ground beef and jerky spices on hand and the kids are clamoring for some jerky. It's a nice addition to the Ronco dehydrator; :D

Dutch -

Me and Ron are on a first name basis! I got 2 of his plastic dehydrators free to try out the spagetti machine before it hit the market. Even got the spaggeti machine free for 60 days and half price to keep it after.

Now that he's "Big Time" I never hear from him. He didn't even warn me about the knife set - had to wait till it hit the TV! Sheesh!

Debi

I've used a jerky gun alot, along with food dehydrator. Yes, the ground beef jerky holds up very well and does not fall apart. I've used supermarket ground beef with no problems. Regular ground beef did sweat a bit of fat, while the lean and extra lean sweated about the same amount.

I also used the commercial seasoning that came with the gun which gave good results. I ended up using my own recipe (after experimenting, not finding ready made seasoning).

I've stopped making it, because it would never last long enough. Not that it spoiled, each batch disappeared before the next batch could get processed. Though now I have a smoker I might try it that way, just for experimentation.

I just need to find a way of keeping it from disappearing.

Oh, one note....get a larger gun....saves a lot of hassle reloading.

Kueh -

Jerky always goes fast. I'll have to try that thing soon. I am super curious now. Just seems weird.

Debi

I've made jerky from ground beef for a very very long time...it never lasts long and I always get begged to make more....this is always done on my dehydrator. I never use a jerky gun, honestly the one I got is more hassle then good.....and as for my recipe....well that is one I don't give out, took me 10 years of trial and error to get it right so to get that recipe, well you really got to be special or know where it's hidden in the house :P

Hmmmmmm I always thought top secret recipes were either commercial products or a girl thing. I've always considered it an honor to be asked for a recipe. Eve with an exact recipe some times it just doesn't come out right for another person. (some people just can't cook)

:shock:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky