New to this addiction!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brianr

Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
North Dakota
Hey all,

Introducing myself. I am from East Central North Dakota, as in coldest place on earth (or at least is this weekend).  New to smoking and so far have enjoyed a few successes by following some tips here in in Jeff's book. Mostly smoking for my family (wife and 2 young daughters) but will be taking it to our lake place in the summer for the lake crew as well.

Had a bit of trouble with a turkey as it was super windy and cold but it finally got done. Have now built a wind break like others on here have, seems to have helped.

I have a Masterbuilt 30" 2 door propane smoker. I did pick up a Traeger remote thermometer from reccomendations on this site and have modified by chips holder as directed with tinfoil.

So far have only used chips, haven't tried chunks as some on here have said works better. Just a bit nervous about that as the smoker is supposedly only to have chips in it.

Anyway, I look forward to more successes and learning from all the experts on this forum.

Thanks!!

From one newbie to another, welcome and enjoy your smoker. As you have stated this is an awesome site for us new guys.

BrianR pleasure to meet you. Watch out for BrianDSkelly he's a wild man!

There is so much available here, step by step, tech info, pictures, discussions, groups by area, equipment, foods, if we can't cook we love to talk about it and learn for one another. Everyone helps, everyone learns, and everyone is capable of inspiring others. You'll end up with a list that most folks laugh about that you plan to do, and you won't mark any off. LOL

Great people here always ready to help. Just remember that for every question there are 100 right answers when smoking. Smoking is about learning how to make the pit do what you want, then trying things that look good too.

Its a load of fun, its definitely gratifying when your daughters tell you how good the big crawfish are, and no matter what you do, if you cook to IT you can eat all your mistakes and still smile because they are good. You should start taking notes in a dedicated smoke book about each smoke, really. Like a snipers kill book. Pad, journal, disc, flash, something and keep your notes cause it would be terrible to hit one out the park and not remember what you did. Heres some logs for reference:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/attachments/3

Look forward to seeing you browsing, and your pictures of your successes. We love to see your achievements. That's when you inspire others.

Good luck, have fun, and enjoy the smoke.

BrianR pleasure to meet you. Watch out for BrianDSkelly he's a wild man!

There is so much available here, step by step, tech info, pictures, discussions, groups by area, equipment, foods, if we can't cook we love to talk about it and learn for one another. Everyone helps, everyone learns, and everyone is capable of inspiring others. You'll end up with a list that most folks laugh about that you plan to do, and you won't mark any off. LOL

Great people here always ready to help. Just remember that for every question there are 100 right answers when smoking. Smoking is about learning how to make the pit do what you want, then trying things that look good too.

Its a load of fun, its definitely gratifying when your daughters tell you how good the big crawfish are, and no matter what you do, if you cook to IT you can eat all your mistakes and still smile because they are good. You should start taking notes in a dedicated smoke book about each smoke, really. Like a snipers kill book. Pad, journal, disc, flash, something and keep your notes cause it would be terrible to hit one out the park and not remember what you did. Heres some logs for reference:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/attachments/3

Look forward to seeing you browsing, and your pictures of your successes. We love to see your achievements. That's when you inspire others.

Good luck, have fun, and enjoy the smoke.
I'm too old and worn out to be wild.  Now days I just sit on the front porch sipping ice tea and yapping about that last trip to Shanghai way back in 1997…  Sorry.  There I go again.

Foam has given you sound advice.  I'll add only one more.  Please please have FUN.  

Thank you for joining. Keep your smoker warm up there.

Brian

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Welcome to the forum, Brian. Lots of good folks and info here. Glad to have you aboard. Dont worry about masterbuilt telling you to only use chips. Chunks, sawdust trays, pellet trays.... just about anything works well in your smoker. Probably the worst performing, least flavorful, and shortest smoke time are the chips. The search function will get you answers, recipes...... you name it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky