New to the UDS scene

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kelbro

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 22, 2009
N. Carolina
68844728_10214166794115917_1508733423089352704_n.jpg
I just picked up a well-seasoned UDS. I've used horizontal offsets for years with good results. Good results also with my 18" WSM. Just like the idea of the UDS and the added capacity over the WSM.

Are there any tips or tricks for making these guys hum? The guy I bought it from told me the basics. Fill the charcoal basket up with lump (I've always used briquets in the WSM) and open both ball valves until it gets to temp and then start regulating. The top stack has no damper so I guess all control comes from the ball valves.

Plan to try some baby backs tomorrow.

What's the deal with the hangers for meat? Since we will most likely never do more than two racks of ribs, or one brisket, not sure I need to hang any meat. Any suggestions otherwise?

Thanks

To each their own but I personally disagree with the lump part. I use briquettes because of the absolutely predictable BTUs that I get out of them. I then add chunks of whatever flavor would I'm looking for depending on what it is I'm cooking.

I will say that if you're stacking your coals using minion method that you should probably only light about 8 coals to start with and then dump them on the cold coals.

If you start a whole chimney and dump it into your coal basket in a UDS you're going to have problems very fast.

also if it is built and sealed right, the ball valves will be very sensitive. I generally adjust mine about 1/16 of an inch at a time once I'm within the range of my temperature

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky