New to the SMF.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CombatBarbecue

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 7, 2018
Appleton
Good morning Wisconsinites!

I am a new member to the SMF and currently reside in Wisconsin by way of Texas in 2013. Just looking to get to know fellow meat smokers like myself up here in Wisconsin. Curious as to how often everyone here smokes meats in the winter. Also wouldn't mind any tips anyone would like to point out about smoking meats in the Wisconsin winter. I notice there isn't much activity in the blog but there are plenty of views so hopefully we just have a bunch of lurkers here. I use the old school method of wood and charcoal, by way of my Texas roots, I have usually used Mesquite wood to smoke but I am looking to get more into the fruity woods possibly a hickory apple mix. Look forward to pen paling with some of you. Have a great day and stay warm out there!

Welcome from ND. Any questions are excepted,lots of wonderful help here. Cold weather smoking is doable, just little more energy and time needed

Yeah I experienced that a couple weeks ago. Smoked a brisket when it was 23 degrees outside. Had some issues but it wasn't to to bad. What brings a North Dakotatian (Not sure how that works :) ) to the Wisconsin page. Any other active communities on here you recommend?

Well, I suck at trimming Brisket, I might need to meet you in person to learn that skill Combat. I know our brisket selection ain't the best around here, but even with this cold around, I'm rolling smoke at least every other week. Won't stop me none, just means I need to use a hair dryer in my MES for 30 seconds to trick the sensors into compliance ;)

Actually gonna be reviewing a BBQ Rub from your homestate soon. SuckleBusters is sending me product to review. So I'll be firing up the smoker for a boneless butt.

Also so you know, in case you ever use pellets. Lumberjack BBQ Pellets is a WI based company. Using woods only from America near as I can tell. WA Apple, etc. Though, sounds like unlike me you stick to the traditional route only. I like my MES though and that AMNPS sure is nice for smoking cheese :)

If you'd like to do a meet up, I'm always down. We can always meet for dinner over in Menasha's Parker Johns. Definitely the only good BBQ joint round here as far as I know. Even impressed a Michigan member from SMF who I had the fortune to meet in the summer months over in MI. He was here on business. Their ribs are primo. Exactly how I'd like to do my own ribs.

Well with your kind of smoker, you can just pull up a seat a little closer to the Fire to get through the day.
It's not that much colder in WI than it is here in PA, and when my health wasn't a problem the temp outside didn't affect my smoking.
You'll enjoy it I'm sure, and I think you'll find the Wind a bigger problem than the Cold, so you might want to think about some sort of Wind Break.

Enjoy,
Bear

I am not professing to be an expert at trimming a brisket by any means.I just recently actually began trimming. I used to just slap that sucker right on the grill but I do like trimming better. I just watched videos on youtube to get the feel for it.

I like the name SuckleBusters. Let me know how it turns out. Just out of curiosity how did you get to the point to review rubs?? that sounds like an interesting gig for sure. I do like the traditional wood charcoal route for smoking but I would never be opposed to trying different methods such as electric. I have honestly never seen an electric smoker in action. I have also never had smoked cheese and I love cheese!

Parker Johns for sure is about the best BBQ I think around in this area. And for sure wouldn't mind gathering of some local members on here see if we can get some good BBQ going or something like that. That would be awesome. I am in the very early stages of getting a BBQ food truck started up here and am always open to meeting new people getting new ideas.

Well with your kind of smoker, you can just pull up a seat a little closer to the Fire to get through the day.
It's not that much colder in WI than it is here in PA, and when my health wasn't a problem the temp outside didn't affect my smoking.
You'll enjoy it I'm sure, and I think you'll find the Wind a bigger problem than the Cold, so you might want to think about some sort of Wind Break.

Enjoy,
Bear

Yeah I could definitely see the wind being an issue. Any recommendations on any wind breaks that are sturdy and well priced?
Also, I hope your health isn't keeping you from smoking to much. Thanks for the input kind stranger.

Timing is everything... First winter smoke (ever) for me is tomorrow. Doing the buttermilk brined turkey thighs using Jeffs rub on my modified ECB -brinkman. Anyway, like you I was looking to see if there was any info on time adjustments for smoking in 10-20 degree weather. Normally I'd guess something like 90+ minutes at 240 but maybe i'll just balpark it at 120 minutes. Extra rest time should be ok.

This fall I did some bone in ribs on the just then modified ECB. I used cowboy charcoal and couldn't get it below about 280 deg with all the vents closed. (found out I should have used briquettes as the cowboy burns hotter).

Tomorrow it's expected to be in the low 20's. I'm planning to use the cowboy charcoal along with the water pan. I'll also use some oak and cherry for smoke.
Please feel free to offer ANY suggestions as I'm brand new to smoking.

PS, I'm just outside of Shawano.

Hello Carvendive,

I did my first cold weather brisket a couple weeks ago. I created a log to help keep track of anything I might need to adjust (might help for future smokes) and at start time it was 23 degrees outside. From what I could tell it didn't affect anything for me to much. I am sure due to the cold and the fact that my grill is old as hell didn't help. I think a lot of it has to do with the gauging of the metal on your pit and how closed off it is from the wind (Im sure I burned more wood than usual) I'll know more as I do more cold weather smokes and get a better pit. This was also a 10 plus hour smoke sesh. 90 + minutes I think you will be fine. I hope it goes good for you. Feel free to send updates and pictures of it. As a fellow Wisconsinite Newbie wouldn't mind more posts coming through especially something like brined turkey thighs which I have never smoked.

Good luck!

I am not professing to be an expert at trimming a brisket by any means.I just recently actually began trimming. I used to just slap that sucker right on the grill but I do like trimming better. I just watched videos on youtube to get the feel for it.

I like the name SuckleBusters. Let me know how it turns out. Just out of curiosity how did you get to the point to review rubs?? that sounds like an interesting gig for sure. I do like the traditional wood charcoal route for smoking but I would never be opposed to trying different methods such as electric. I have honestly never seen an electric smoker in action. I have also never had smoked cheese and I love cheese!

Parker Johns for sure is about the best BBQ I think around in this area. And for sure wouldn't mind gathering of some local members on here see if we can get some good BBQ going or something like that. That would be awesome. I am in the very early stages of getting a BBQ food truck started up here and am always open to meeting new people getting new ideas.

Let me put it this way; the moment I touch a Brisket, it looks like some one committed a crime. I'm not that good at it LOL..

And I actually was encouraged by a friend who does photography to just reach out and see if any companies respond. SuckleBusters did right away and was quite willing to send me some products to review. I've emailed Heath Riles and Pork Mafia as well. I don't think I'll ever get to the point it's making me money persay, but if I can get access to product to give feedback before it hits the main market? I'm happy. I want to start up a BBQ Database. Every rub and sauce I can get my hands on reviewed and notes. Links to other people who reviewed it. I think it would be a good project...tasty one!

But we need to get you into the cheese scene..shame being in WI and not having done it yet! I got about 2.5 pounds of Pepper jack I smoked a few months back aging away in my project fridge :)

Yeah I could definitely see the wind being an issue. Any recommendations on any wind breaks that are sturdy and well priced?
Also, I hope your health isn't keeping you from smoking too much. Thanks for the input kind stranger.

My MES is next to my front wall on my front porch, so one direction is blocked. If wind is bad I only have to block one other direction, and sometimes 2.
I've seen people put 3 pieces of 1/2" plywood together with hinges, so they can stand it "around" 3 sides of the smoker.
Then fold it up for storage.

Bear

As for a wind break, I don't know why I forgot to mention a few things I've done over the years for grills/turkey fryers/now the MES. <My first smoker was a pile of junk and I'm pretty sure I never tried it in the wind because it likely would have fallen over and set some thing on fire in a movie like fashion. It was really bad>.

I arrange grills around my MES, they tend to be a good wind break... or you can basically do what you'd do if ice fishing, get some bricks, and big plywood slabs. Get them upright and get the bricks to support them, it always helped when ice fishing. The other option is to at least get the area around the heat source bricked up to help prevent it going out/burning to hot etc.

As an aside, my first smoker was a El Cheapo Brinkmann. It was gifted to me. It roughly appeared it fell off the back of a truck and got hit by a car before I received it. It was really junk. LOL.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky