New to the forum but long time meat smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

David Arthur Daniels

Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
I have not had great success with brisket. So I just stopped trying. For Christmas my kids gave me sous vide machine. Last weekend(actually Thursday morning I cut the 8 lb slab in half gave it a good covering of Jeff's rub put the two halves in separate vacuum bags. That evening about 9, I put them in the sous vide bath at 155. on Saturday morning I preheated by Masterbuilt smoker to 225 added hickory chips and smoked the puppy for three hours. The bath was for 36 hours and the beautiful thing did not shrivel up and look like a prune! It was the best I have ever made and maybe even eaten. Two days later it was still tender and moist and made great sandwiches. I will not stop smoking my meats but I will give them a sous vide bath before smoking. Bring on the tri-tip!

Welcome to the forum!
A sous vide outfit opens up a range of possibilities. I modified a cooler with a hole in top which will hold six gallons of water so I could do larger pieces.....

I have not had great success with brisket. So I just stopped trying. For Christmas my kids gave me sous vide machine. Last weekend(actually Thursday morning I cut the 8 lb slab in half gave it a good covering of Jeff's rub put the two halves in separate vacuum bags. That evening about 9, I put them in the sous vide bath at 155. on Saturday morning I preheated by Masterbuilt smoker to 225 added hickory chips and smoked the puppy for three hours. The bath was for 36 hours and the beautiful thing did not shrivel up and look like a prune! It was the best I have ever made and maybe even eaten. Two days later it was still tender and moist and made great sandwiches. I will not stop smoking my meats but I will give them a sous vide bath before smoking. Bring on the tri-tip!
Sous Vide is the way to go. I have had one for 2 years now and any steak can be dialed in to the exact tenderness you like it. Great idea for doing a brisket in the Sous Vide, I am going to give it a try.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky