New to the forum and Turkey Smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scottydog

Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
I am new to this forum, but not totally new to smoking. I have an upright brinkman charcoal type smoker and have had great success with brisket, ribs and wings. I am taking my first stab at turkey breasts tomorrow. I have family coming for lunch Saturday and thought I would get the birds done ahead.

I have looked at several recipes and the link to Smoking Meat.com with Jeff Phillips and feel I am ready. Pland to brine the birds overnight and smoke tomorrow afternoon.

Does anyone have any last minute advice?

Thanks and BTW, this is a very helpful forum...

My only advice would have been to use a brine, but you already planned to do that. There have been many posts here on this subject that you might research to see if there is anything that might help you out.

Good luck

Dry them up good after rinsing the brine off then and hit them good with some rub and smoke away. I really like apple or cherry with poultry

Good luck

Used 1/2 block of butter and limo pepper in side with some of your rub make your on sauce it will give it moister. May add some Capt Morgan?

Last edited:
hello, and welcome to the SMF. In general, i think you have a good plan. I moved your thread to roll call so that others can welcome you too. It's all good my friend.

Ill add my 2 cents to the good advice already posted.

Yes, pull it at an internal temp of 160° , foil tightly and wrap in a few towels, rest for about a half an hour, unwrap and rest 15 more minutes before slicing.

The temp will creep up to 165° during the rest

Brining, I always just use the tap water

• Water to salt ratio is 1:16 or 1 cup of Kosher salt per gallon of non-chlorinated water.

• Sugar reduces the the taste of the salt, use the same ratio as the salt.
  • Whole Birds brine for about an hour a pound.
  • Breasts no more than 5-6 hours

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
icon_cool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky