New to SV

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forktender

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 10, 2008
NORCAL
Walk me through chicken breasts please.
Temp?
Time?
How many breasts per sealed bag?
Anything else I need to know?
Seasoning will just be simple S&P, butter with a lemon slice to begin with.

I'm trying to keep an open mind to SV but in all honesty it just seems a little weird too me right now.

What are some of the basic things that you cook that you think SV really shines?

Thank you very much.
Dan

Last edited:
Fresh or thawed chicken breast? I like mine at 150F for about 1.5 hours.

If you’re eating it warm, be sure to give it a quick sear for the outside. It’s mainly for looks as all meat that comes out of the SV bag is pretty lifeless. I usually sear my chicken in a hot pan with oil and butter.

If you’re going to eat it cold for say chicken salad. Throw the bag in an icebath when done. Cut or cube the chicken once it’s cold...or you could ice bath the chicken and throw the sealed bag in the fridge for when you’re ready to use it.

Seasonings are by choice. I usually just SPOG. If I know how I’m going to use chicken in a Mexican dish I’ll add chili powder and paprika.

One of the best things about SV is that you could start with frozen meat. That allows you to buy bulk meat, season and portion into SV bags.

Here’s a good example of chicken before and after the sear.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/southwest-chicken-salad-sous-vide.262686/

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/sous-vide-chicken-piccata-kind-of.261557/

I also don’t use butter anymore in the bags.

To expand on your post, I mainly use my SV for chicken, pork, pastrami and lean beef like London broil. I’m not a fan of SVing a fattier cut like a ribeye. I like hot and fast.

Bearcarver Bearcarver has a lot of good recipes in his index for chuckies and eye rounds.

SV has it's place. I like the set&forget aspect. I also like it for crowd cooking. I usually sv planning to finish with high heat pan sear or grill. But as xray xray said, it's no way to treat a ribeye.

Reactions: forktender
Thank you for the tips.
Most likely frozen chicken breasts this time around.
Nothing fancy, I'm just testing things out and learning this Inkbird machine. I'm not going to connect it to wifi I don't really see a need for that since I'll be 10 steps away from the kitchen while using it......I'm not that lazy yet. lol.

Xray, your food looks great, and chicken piccata is one of the reasons I bought this contraption, it's one of my favorite meals. I will be trying your recipe in the near future. Thank you.

Smokinvolfan, I'm not making anything fancy yet, I'm just trying to figure this thing out, so I don't destroy a meal down the road...lol But if it turns out well I'll snap a few pictures and let you know how it went.

Smet, thank you for your input I really appreciate it.

Dave, I really appreciate your offer to help me out and I'm sure I will be sending you a few questions. I just book marked Dave Balwins web page and will most likely be buying his book.

Thank you all for the advice, I mainly bought this SV gizmo for cooking duck and goose breasts, our season opens up in a few weeks, so I'll have mallards, Sprig, and Specklebelly geese in the freezer again.

Thank you guys, if you think of anything else for me to try let me know.

Dan

Last edited:
I think the SV really shines with chicken, that’s what I make the most. Chicken and pastrami.

The piccata is kind of nice because you don’t have to mess around with dredging the chicken...but in the same token you’re not dredging the chicken for a classic piccata....but the chicken is tender and you could walk away from it.

I don’t have the wifi version but I think the advantage of having wifi is a remote start time. You could put the meat into ice water in the morning that way the meat isn’t left out in the danger zone. Leave for work and time it out to start the SV unit, that way dinner is ready when you come home, especially if you’re a 9-5 person....I could be totally wrong and and I am not responsible if you come home to a flood of melted ice, lol.

Well, good luck with the unit and have fun trying new things. Pretty soon you’ll be able to tailor it to your needs.

I saw you commented in Bears SV chuck post . That's a must try . Both the pulled and the lower temp that comes out like prime rib .
You should try a steak . Just so you know .
Makes great vegetables . Corn on the cobb comes out great .

T

Dan

My "Sous Vide" favorites are the Eye Round @ 132° for 21-24 hours. (Sliced & Fork Tender)

And Chucky (Steak-like) @ 132° for 30 hours, or Pulled Beef @ 165° for 30 hours.

However if you go to my Step by Step Index, scroll down to "Sous Vide" for a bunch of Step by Steps & Tips.

Bear

Hey Forktender, I see you are a hunter, I am as well, and the sous vide works excellent on game meat. If you are looking to cook up some duck or goose breasts please have a look at this YouTube video it gives a good general idea and the temps and times are perfect: you can change it up to your tastes with different rubs.

I second Bear's eye round and chuck recipe, I have done it many times and always a winner.

Hey Forktender, I see you are a hunter, I am as well, and the sous vide works excellent on game meat. If you are looking to cook up some duck or goose breasts please have a look at this YouTube video it gives a good general idea and the temps and times are perfect: you can change it up to your tastes with different rubs.

I second Bear's eye round and chuck recipe, I have done it many times and always a winner.

Awesome thanks a bunch Andy.
Which state do you hunt? I hunt the CA Delta which is mainly public swampy areas. And I get a few invites to some nice clubs in the Sacramento Valley. Our hunting isn't as good as it was just 10 years ago, but we still get enough to keep it interesting. Dad started me out when I was a little guy and I'm still chasing them almost 50 yrs later, it's a terminal disease.
Thanks a bunch for the video link, I'll for sure put it to use.

Dan

Hey Dan, I am in Calgary, Alberta Canada. Just started hunting a few years ago, but hunting in Alberta is really good with a huge variety of places and species to hunt and lots of public land. It has been quite the addition, almost as bad as smoking bbq .

Hey Dan, I am in Calgary, Alberta Canada. Just started hunting a few years ago, but hunting in Alberta is really good with a huge variety of places and species to hunt and lots of public land. It has been quite the addition, almost as bad as smoking bbq .
Well, HECK!!!!!
You couldn't have picked a better place to start hunting.
Personally I've never been up there, but I know a bunch of people who have. I'd love to go up one of these yrs.:emoji_thumbsup:

P.S. Push some of those birds south for me, please.:emoji_laughing:

forktender forktender where are you in nor cal? Sorry if I've asked before. I work in sac and live just a little north.
I live right on the banks of the San Joaquin river, east bay area...other wise known as God's country.:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::emoji_laughing::emoji_scream:

I got an Inkbird model as well. Im going on vacation next week and though about taking it with me to try out on some seafood but sounds like it might be a PITA to pack up a vac seal machine too!
From what I've read and seen on videos you can also use Ziploc bags. I poach some eggs and I used a Ziploc, I didn't think vac sealing raw eggs would be a very good idea. That being said I don't like the idea of heating food in a cheap Ziploc bag, that can't be good for you. As a test it worked fine but next time I will use a foodsaver bag unsealed on one end. If I start using this thing more often I will most likely buy a few reusable silicone sous vide bags.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky