New to Smoking with MES 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bearfan

Original poster
So I've had my smoker for almost 2 years and have only used it a couple of times. I have finally decided to seriously get into smoking meats. I've been doing some research and it sounds like the AMNPS and the maverick wireless thermometer are must haves for my smoker. (I plan on getting them very soon). In the mean time I am planning on smoking a pork loin on Saturday. Does anyone have a good beginner recipe for a pork loin? also until i get the AMNPS should I use chips or pellets? Should i fill the water pan or leave it empty, I've heard recommendations on both? From the reading I've done I should pull the loin between 140 and 145 for an internal temp and rest for at least 30 mins. Any other pointers?

Once I do get the AMNPS i've read that there are different placements for it depending on if i have a gen1 or gen2 MES 30...how do i tell which one i have? It has the digital controls on top and has the internal meat probe.

Thanks! and sorry for all the newbie questions!

I haven't done a pork loin yet, but when I did the ham, two turkeys, ribs and ribeye steaks, I soaked the chips for all but one turkey.  I must say I am not really thrilled with using the chips dry.

The AMNPS works well for the cold smoking. 

I think if you do a search for pork loin you will find a great recipe.  I have not found a bad one yet on this site.

Mel

Leave the chunks dry.  Use chunks not chips.  I foil the water pan and no water in the pan.

Bout any rub you want to use will work on the loin.

If you could post a pic of the smoker then we can tell you witch one you have.

TRIED THIS A FEW TIMES

found it on You Tube ...  LOL

1 cup salt
1 cup sugar
 garlic
bay leaves
apple juice (gallon water) TO A GALLON OF LIQUID. I USE PURE APPLE JUICE ITS CHEAP.
onions

warm up so everything is dissolved, then let cool

put loin in a container and keep it submerged (covered with liquid) in fridge for a few days. then i smoked it in my MES and put some brine in the SS liquid tray. makes for alot of moisture in smoker but it has been successful for me.

smoked at 225 till IT 145

GOOD LUCK

I have the MES 30 too. I started using it with the water pan; filling it with water, apple cider/juice or combo thereof. Later, as I read on the forums the consensus seemed to be not to use the water pan for moisture. So I stopped adding liquid to it. Now it just serves as a drip pan or cooking pan. So far I am pleased with the results. I would only use the water pan if I was smoking fish.

I don't have the AMNPS. I want to finish off my wood chips that I have and get to know my MES better. I got it early December 2014. I use a Chef Alarm to monitor the internal temps of my food.

Just my $0.02

popcorn.gif

I bought the AMNPS early on to use in my MES 30 and it's all I use.

I've been told--and agree with--that the water pan is too large for the interior size of the MES 30 (not sure about the MES 40). It produces way too much steam which only serves to snuff out the AMNPS. I leave the water pan empty and foiled over.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky