New to smoking...water pan and other questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jumpon

Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
North Carolina
I have grilled for many years, but I've had little experience with slow, smoke cooking.  I just built a UDS and cooked a 7lb. butt.  Cooked it at 225-250 for 5 hrs. to 190 inside temp. I pulled it and rested it in an ice chest for 1 hr. and bone pulled out easily.  It seemed to have too much smoke, somewhat smutty.  It was tender, and tasted great, but a little dry.   I wonder if I should have used a water pan set up? (Of which I'm not sure the purpose of)  Should I have used the 3-2-1 method.  I cooked it with the fat side down and wonder if this dripping heavily on the coals caused the smutty smoke problem?

Any help will be appreciated and thanks,

Jumpon

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. How much wood did you use the key is TBS (thin blue smoke) or no smoke and just the smell of the wood. We have a saying around here if you can smell the wood so can the meat. The 3-2-1 method is for spare ribs. The water pan is used mostly as a heat sync some people claim it adds moisture to the smoke environment and some say it doesn't. Some people will foil the butt at about 160-165 internal then take it up to 190 for slicing or 200-205 for pulling you may want to try that next time

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.

I used the minion method with about 10 lbs. of Kingsford Original, and 4 half fist size chunks of white oak mixed in.

Piney gave you good advice. The key is TBS. Not billowing white smoke. Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

Another source of the smutty taste is poor movement of the smoke.  You want the smoke to just pass over the meat, not get stuck in the chamber.  We do this by leaving the vents in the smoke chamber open all the way, all the time.  Control the fire with the dampers in the firebox, bottom of your smoker. 

If it is dry you probably cooked it to long.  The fat on top or bottom is one of of the on going discussions on the board.  I usually cook with the fat on top to help baste the meat.  Cook it the way Piney said and you shouldn't have any problem.

Welcome to the forum

Al

Welcome!

You found the right place.

Lots of info. Use the search tool and the Wikis also have lots of info.

Craig

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Thanks for the welcome guys and the tips too.  Looking forward to the future in smoke cooking.  Is there some info. on this site for posting pictures?

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. How much wood did you use the key is TBS (thin blue smoke) or no smoke and just the smell of the wood. We have a saying around here if you can smell the wood so can the meat. The 3-2-1 method is for spare ribs. The water pan is used mostly as a heat sync some people claim it adds moisture to the smoke environment and some say it doesn't. Some people will foil the butt at about 160-165 internal then take it up to 190 for slicing or 200-205 for pulling you may want to try that next time

Welcome to the SMF. Jerry has given you much food for thought.It's all good my friend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky