New to smoking- need help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Angie73106

Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
we bought a 13 pound brisket and have read to smoke it for about 13 hours at 220 degrees. We had to cut it in half to fit on smoker racks. So instead of a 13 pound brisket we now have 2 6-7 pound briskets. Do we still smoke for 13 hours?

Possibly. Depends on the meat and temp.
Use a good thermometer in the meat. Start checking for tenderness around 185 internal.
You want your thermometer to slide in like butter. Them take it off and let it rest.
I have had brisket tender at 190 and some that had to go up to 205.

did you cut it straight down the middle or horizontal? the thickness is what makes you have to cook some thing longer to get done,separating the point from the flat is what you do to make thinner cuts,there is a fat layer that devices them,easy to find when its cooked but a little tougher when raw,use a thermometer to know when to pull each part,200-205 is target

Go by temperature not time. Once you get around 185 degrees start probing with a toothpick until you get no resistance at all. Usually for me it is somewhere near 205 degrees. I'm sure someone with more experience than me will be along to give you additional information. Good luck!

we bought a 13 pound brisket and have read to smoke it for about 13 hours at 220 degrees. We had to cut it in half to fit on smoker racks. So instead of a 13 pound brisket we now have 2 6-7 pound briskets. Do we still smoke for 13 hours?
Time will change day to day and Brisket to Brisket, you have to go by Temp. Get that smoker up to at least 225 and just give yourself plenty of time. Once it comes up to temp foil it and let it rest at least 30min before slicing. It can stay hot for a few hours if wrapped well in foil and set in a cooler covered in towels. Hope it turns out for you!! Cheers and happy smoking!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky