New to smoking have no idea

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

L177LE

Original poster
Oct 28, 2020
Hi guys thanks for letting me in I've recently brought a hark smoker I've done 1 rack if ribs and now I'm doing a pulled pork butt as we speak now I'I'mfinding really hard to get my smoker low enough in temp I have little fire yo get to temp then it's to low to ignite the next iron bark wood go bigger then to high in temp any help would be good I try and use dampners at half then to high so neally close it and choke it to much

Reactions: JLeonard
Pork butt is very forgiving so I would suggest letting the cooker run at whatever temp it wants to as long as it is reasonable.

Welcome. Not familiar with the smoker you mention. More detail will get you plenty of help.

Welcome aboard. Please describe your smoker and set-up, and what kind of "low" are you trying to achieve? For example, pulled pork needs long cooking times and will tender up north of 200°. If you are cooking at 200° it will take forever to get there and still might not be pullable.

I do 8 pork butts at a time and I use the same method every time. Never had any complaints.

Apply whatever rub you want on the meat, the night before & let sit in fridge overnight, covered. I use McCormick Grill Mates Applewood Rub.

Set meat on kitchen counter while firing up your smoker and getting up to temp.

Set a pan of water in the bottom of your smoker. Warm the smoker up to 225f. I keep all air intakes wide open and the exhaust stack too, then close off the exhaust stack if I need to lower the temp of the smoker. you want thin blue smoke, not thick acrid dark smoke. This will transfer badly to your meat.

Smoke it at 225f til you reach 165f internal temp (fat side down)

Spray a mixture of warm water, brown sugar & maple syrup onto the meat after the first hour. Continue every hour til wrapped in foil.

Double wrap with foil once you reach 165f internal temp and finish smoking it to 200f internal temp. You can kick your smoker temp up to 250f to finish, once the foil is on.

Remove it from smoker at 200f internal temp, set it on your kitchen counter & leave in the foil, to rest for an hour.

Remove foil & pull the pork. Discard any bone or fat. Eat or vac seal. I always save as much of the juice as I can and pour it over the pulled pork before eating or storing.

Good luck & welcome from Minnesota.

Reactions: L177LE and joetee
I do 8 pork butts at a time and I use the same method every time. Never had any complaints.

Apply whatever rub you want on the meat, the night before & let sit in fridge overnight, covered. I use McCormick Grill Mates Applewood Rub.

Set a pan of water in the bottom of your smoker. Warm the smoker up to 225f. I keep all air intakes wide open and the exhaust stack too, then close off the exhaust stack if I need to lower the temp of the smoker. you want thin blue smoke, not thick acrid dark smoke. This will transfer badly to your meat.

Spray a mixture of warm water, brown sugar & maple syrup onto the meat after the first hour. Continue every hour til wrapped in foil.

Double wrap with foil once you reach 165f internal temp and finish smoking it to 200f internal temp. You can kick your smoker temp up to 250f to finish, once the foil is on.

Remove it from smoker at 200f internal temp, set it on your kitchen counter & leave in the foil, to rest for an hour.

Remove foil & pull the pork. Discard any bone or fat. Eat or vac seal. I always save as much of the juice as I can and pour it over the pulled pork before eating or storing.

This sounds great. I'll have to give this one a try.

This sounds great. I'll have to give this one a try.
Thanks so mi

Thanks for this I'll give it a go my pork butt turned out really good very happy with it

Reactions: slapaho_injun
Welcome aboard. Please describe your smoker and set-up, and what kind of "low" are you trying to achieve? For example, pulled pork needs long cooking times and will tender up north of 200°. If you are cooking at 200° it will take forever to get there and still might not be pullable.
My smoker is the hark chubby offset smoker my pork butt turned out really good but still found it hard to keep in range it's easier to keep it at 260 then 225

My smoker is the hark chubby offset smoker my pork butt turned out really good but still found it hard to keep in range it's easier to keep it at 260 then 225
If it settles in at around 260 then I would cook everything at 260. No need to try to fight the cooker to get it to 225. If anything I might throw a little more wood in so the temp would be in the 275-300 range.

If it settles in at around 260 then I would cook everything at 260. No need to try to fight the cooker to get it to 225. If anything I might throw a little more wood in so the temp would be in the 275-300 range.
I agree, once I let my offset run the temps it preferred, life got easier.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky