New to smoking and my first experience with new smoker.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

big buckeye

Original poster
Jan 2, 2015
North Central Ohio
[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument></xml><![endif]

My fiancé bought me a new Cajun Injector Gas smoker for Christmas.  I finally got around to trying it out yesterday.  I have installed a Maverick ET-73 remote thermometer in it, and was using Traeger Wood Pellets in Pecan for my first smoking experience which was a rack of baby back ribs and a 3# Beef roast.  It was 20 degrees here yesterday, and the wind was gusting from 20 to 30 miles per hour from the W to SW and the smoker was on my back deck which is shielded to the East.  The back of the smoker was facing West.  Both side dampers were closed, and the top damper was full open.  I put a piece of cardboard on the back side of the smoker, taller than the smoker, and about 12” wider than the smoker to try to block the wind.  I was able to maintain a temperature of around 210 degrees.  After two hours, the smoke disappeared, and I emptied out the chip pan and refilled it.  After about 15 minutes, suddenly the temperature went up to over 350 degrees.  The wood chips had caught on fire.  I pulled them out, and dumped them, and put in fresh ones, and covered with aluminum foils and put a couple of slits in to limit the amount of oxygen that was going in the chip box.  I also turned the heat down slightly, but was struggling to maintain 200 degrees.  I am assuming this was from the high wind.  I turned the heat back to high after the wood chips burned down, but the wind had kicked up by then and I had a hard time maintaining 190 degrees.  I pulled the roast and ribs after 6 hours, and finished them in the oven.  Is there any secrets to stopping the flare up on the wood chips?  Should I use Chips instead of the pellets?  Would chunks be better?  Just looking for answers before my next run. By the way, the ribs were fantastic, and the roast was pretty good too.   Thanks

[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles></xml><![endif][if gte mso 10]><style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style><![endif]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky