New to smokin'

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vic81

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Marietta, GA
Hey everyone - My name is Vic and I am a newbie at smokin'.  A few friends of mine turned me onto this forum - tons of create info!!  This will be my first time giving it a try - my first setup.

I just purchased a chargriller 5050 at 50% off and picked up the side smoke box.  I am making a few mods including the smoke stack extension inside the main box, the charcoal basket, and flipping the curved plate in the main box to help distribute the heat / smoke.  Here are some pics of my setup with out the FSB / mods.  

0e3de6bd_grill1.jpg
bdcaa575_grill2.jpg

I had a few questions and wondered if you guys could point me in the right direction:

- I have some 1 year old oak firewood I was going to cut into small pieces and use for smoking, do you think that would be ok flavor wise?

- for my first try at smoking I was going to try ribs using the 3-2-1 method - what do you guys think, any other recommendations?

- I hear the temp gauges that came with the chargriller are typically not accurate, what would you recommend?  I was planning on stopping by HD and picking up something that could sit inside the main box........

- is a water pan necessary or do you think it is needed in only when cooking certain meats?

I am really looking forward to getting into this - even had my 4 year old up late tonight with me (9pm) outside putting the FSB on the grill.  

thanks in advance for the help!!

First of all welcome to SMF - you are gonna like it here - lots of friendly and helpful folks. As far as the wood goes, oak is not the wood of choice for most of us. Hickory, maple, pecan most of the fruit woods are the ones most used. I have seen a couple of guys that do use oak but very few - someone will be along with mods they have done to that smoker. 

I really recommend you take the 5 day course and spend some time searching the threads for some helpful hints on cooking methods and rubs

Just understand that you have a new addiction once this gets going  

Welcome to SMF. You will get a lot of good info here; I now I do.

As for your questions:

I have never used oak so I can't answer you on that one. I would imagine it would be similar to hickory.
confused.gif

The 3-2-1 method is highly recommended for spares; baby backs would be 2-2-1.

I recommend the Maverick ET 73 dual probe thermo. One probe shows the temp of the smoker and the other the temp of the meat, and it has a handy remote display that is wireless. Very cool tool and not very expensive.

The water pan is a debate; however, I use mine in my MES 30 all the time. In theory, it helps keep moisture in the meat.

Some other recommendations:

Get the 5 day "class." Some great info and tips in there.

Enjoy your new smoker, and post lots of QView!

Good luck!

Welcome Vic, glad you joined. I occasionally use oak. Oak has a stronger flavor than hickory or fruit woods. When I do use oak, it is only on full packer briskets. I don't use as much as I would with other woods. I have found that well aged oak is what you want, it is a little milder.

My best advice is to try different woods till you like what is coming out of your smoker.

Get some smoke going and put up some qview. We will be looking forward to it.

thanks guys - I'll check out the 5 day coarse.  Looks like I am going to have a chance to fire it up this weekend, maybe ribs on Sunday 
icon_lol.gif

BTW - Qview?  I'm assuming that is just pics?

Welcome to SMF!!

Yes ,Q view is what we call pics of our smokes .

Try to find some fruit wood for your ribs . you will be suprized at the taste.

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Vic to SMF. you'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction

Hey everyone - My name is Vic and I am a newbie at smokin'.  A few friends of mine turned me onto this forum - tons of create info!!  This will be my first time giving it a try - my first setup.

Hello VIC

I just purchased a chargriller 5050 at 50% off and picked up the side smoke box.  I am making a few mods including the smoke stack extension inside the main box, the charcoal basket, and flipping the curved plate in the main box to help distribute the heat / smoke.  Here are some pics of my setup with out the FSB / mods.  

0e3de6bd_grill1.jpg
bdcaa575_grill2.jpg

I had a few questions and wondered if you guys could point me in the right direction:

- I have some 1 year old oak firewood I was going to cut into small pieces and use for smoking, do you think that would be ok flavor wise?

Is it white oak or Red Oak?

For ribs, I would use what the others have suggested, I use cherry. Oak will work but use it sparingly.

- for my first try at smoking I was going to try ribs using the 3-2-1 method - what do you guys think, any other recommendations?

3 - 2 - 1 is one of the safest ways to do ribs, if you have time you can read my post on my blog, GOSM Big Block

- I hear the temp gauges that came with the chargriller are typically not accurate, what would you recommend?  I was planning on stopping by HD and picking up something that could sit inside the main box........

I would check them in boiling water, it should read 212 degrees, the temperature of boiling water.

- is a water pan necessary or do you think it is needed in only when cooking certain meats?

For the chargriller, I do not know, but I would start out using water. I use one in my GOSM all the time with the exception of jerky.

The water helps maintain a good smoking temperature and the moisture helps with smoke penetration, some will argue this but this is my opinion.

I do not use water in my reverse flow, but may try it down the road.

I am really looking forward to getting into this - even had my 4 year old up late tonight with me (9pm) outside putting the FSB on the grill.  

HAPPY SMOKING.

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
icon_cool.gif

Thanks guys.  Here are some pics of my mods:

smoke stack mod - 
610f775a_smokestack.jpg

Here is my charcoal basket - after I took the pic, I used my angle grinder to cut the bolts down to size.  The other pic is the firebox up and running for today's smoke 
icon_wink.gif
  I have another thread about dinner.......

5c40692e_firebox1.jpg

2bba26de_firebox2.jpg

If the smoker didn't come w/ a water pan it wasn't designed to be used w/ one . The water pan while providing moisture is mainly designed to distribute the heat. ( eliminate hot spots). If you want to try water just get a metal coffee can and burn it . then fill w/ water and put it in the cooking chamber right next to the smoke / heat intake.

0e3de6bd_grill1.jpg
bdcaa575_grill2.jpg

Hello Vic and welcome. Looks like you have a nice smoker set-up. Everyone has offered excellent advice, and there is a ton of other great infomation on here.

All I can add is the obvious-trial & error when you smoke to get the feel of your equipment & how it performs.

Pay attention to food safety-there have been several good posts on here recently about food safety. The 5 day course will help.

I would also reccomend smoking for a while before you invite a group over, or promise to feed a gathering, just for your own practice. We had someone mention the other day having a bunch of hungry folks waiting on you to feed them and there is a delay-not good!

Good luck & happy smoking!

Last edited:
Hello Vic and welcome. Looks like you have a nice smoker set-up. Everyone has offered excellent advice, and there is a ton of other great infomation on here.

All I can add is the obvious-trial & error when you smoke to get the feel of your equipment & how it performs.

Pay attention to food safety-there have been several good posts on here recently about food safety. The 5 day course will help.

I would also reccomend smoking for a while before you invite a group over, or promise to feed a gathering, just for your own practice. We had someone mention the other day having a bunch of hungry folks waiting on you to feed them and there is a delay-not good!

Good luck & happy smoking!
Thanks man - I agree with you 100% on the smoking for friends right off the bat......my wife decided it would be good to have friends over.....needless to say I was greatly concerned, thank goodness my first attempt (ribs) turned out awesome.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky