New to me smoker

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by jeepercreeper, Nov 30, 2015.

1. jeepercreeper

jeepercreeper Newbie

Hello all!  This is my first post on here so be gentle with my rookie questions. My only smoking experience is on my Treager.  I would like to get into more of the hobby and like to do venison and the Treager is just not big enough.  I have been gifted a smoker which went through a barn fire 7-8 years ago.  Since that time it has been sitting in a pasture boneyard of my friends.  He mentioned he had this one out back and realizes he will never get around to fixing it back up.  I have no idea what brand it is, or what parts still work. There appears to be a digital thermostat on the side which was powered by a 9 volt battery.  I know that is shot from the weather.  The thermostat on the back turns freely, so it may be salvageable.  The gas valve I'm not sure about.  

I'm a little uneasy using gas for safety reasons, but that can change.  I thought of changing it to an electric smoker as well, but I am not sure an electric burner or two will get hot enough to properly smoke the meat. What are your thoughts of leaving it as a gas unit or picking up a couple hotpads and doing just electric.

Here are pictures of my new project.  

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015