New to curing looking for guidance

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Have you bought the book The Art of Making FERMENTED SAUSAGES by Stanley and Adam Marianski? If not, buy it today. Best $20 bucks you will spend learning about this hobby. Read it cover to cover....it is all in the book. Read it cover to cover at least 5 times, you will learn more as you make salami so refer back to it often.

Reactions: stackhsc
I used 2.5 percent and 0.25 prauge1.
I’m guessing you applied 2.5% salt and 0.25% cure #1 (Prague)? If so, and you think it’s salty, I would cut the salt to 2.0% then add cure. This will give you 2.25% salt. Not recommend to go much below that on dried product.

What you have done looks real good. Congratulations.

Reactions: stackhsc
Have you bought the book The Art of Making FERMENTED SAUSAGES by Stanley and Adam Marianski? If not, buy it today. Best $20 bucks you will spend learning about this hobby. Read it cover to cover....it is all in the book. Read it cover to cover at least 5 times, you will learn more as you make salami so refer back to it often.

Yes I have it after you recommended it in one of these threads :). Working my way through it.

I’m guessing you applied 2.5% salt and 0.25% cure #1 (Prague)? If so, and you think it’s salty, I would cut the salt to 2.0% then add cure. This will give you 2.25% salt. Not recommend to go much below that on dried product.

What you have done looks real good. Congratulations.
Thanks. Yes your assumptions are correct. Appreciate the info on the minimum salt level too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky