New Smoker, with a few questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SquattingHen

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 28, 2018
North Texas
Hello all. Thanks to Jeff and all the members here who contribute and support the site and other members, I have learned quite a bit in the short time I have been here. I actually purchased Jeff's book, before I found the site, and both are great. I will try to keep this short.

I purchased a used Smoke Hollow 38202G with a propane tank for $50 about a month ago, and this was my entry into smoking. Well...the first few sessions didn't go as well as expected. I discovered (as I have read here as well...after the fact) that the installed temperature sensor was about 50 degrees off. I purchased the Smoke from Thermoworks and my smoke sessions improved.

I have few questions though. With my smoker, it includes a wood chip tray and a water pan. Would this be considered a Water Smoker? I ask because I was wanting to try this recipe ( https://www.smoking-meat.com/august-14-2014-pecan-smoked-chicken-wings ) but I am a little confused with these two lines,

"Make sure the heat is indirect and I recommend leaving the water pan dry to lower the humidity and help the skin to have a better texture."

Then it says," In water smokers, you are using the water pan full of water and/or other liquids."

Question # 1 - I have always filled the water pan all the way with all of my smokes, but I am not supposed to?

Question # 2 - Also, I have 4 or so racks available, and they can be placed at just about any height. So far, I have mainly used the upper most portion where the meat would still fit without touching the sausage hangers. Should I always try to cook near the top? Or should it be closer to the middle/lower?

Question # 3 - I also am curious about the temperature fluctuation within the smoker. I preheat it to 225 and of course when I add the meat it drops. It takes a while to get back to 225, and I have always had to give it a little boost by upping the temperature dial. I smoked some pig candy (maple bacon) last weekend and during the two hour smoke, the temperature would range from 220-245 and I would have to make minor adjustments to get to 225. Is this normal?

Questions # 4 - I haven't had as much smoke flavor has I would like and I have tried Apple, Oak, Hickory and Mesquite. Should I be filing up the smoker box all the way with chips? Or do I put in a handful and add another handful every hour or so? My first smoke I had smoke going crazy and I thought, "yeah, this is great" then I read that it is actually bad and a thin blue smoke is what I should be after. I feel like I can't see much, if any smoke at all after about 30 minutes. Last time I kept adding more chips, but in the end, I had a lot of unburt (guess that isn't a word) chips in the box. I assumed it was because I kept adding chips on top of already burnt chips.

I know that this is long, but I hope I could get some suggestions and tips.

Thank you all.

I have always filled the holder and do it when smoke slows 3-5 times before i stop temps will vary and as long as it swings into the temp you want without staying high or low for long periods dont sweat it

You are touching on a lot of things here that are personal preference. I always (most of the time) use the water pan and I fill it up, I also fill the chip pan full especially for long smokes. Temperature fluctuation always happens and the more you open the door the more it will happen. Top rack is mostly the hottest one near the water pan is most likely the coolest. just my $.02 hope it was some help.

Warren

You are touching on a lot of things here that are personal preference. I always (most of the time) use the water pan and I fill it up, I also fill the chip pan full especially for long smokes. Temperature fluctuation always happens and the more you open the door the more it will happen. Top rack is mostly the hottest one near the water pan is most likely the coolest. just my $.02 hope it was some help.

Warren
Thanks to both replies so far.

With you mentioning my questions are mostly personal preference, that makes sense as to why it has been difficult to find answers to them. Ha. Coming in new to smoking, I was expecting to find an A, B, C, but it doesn't appear to really work that way.

It gets frustrating sometime when I am smoking something and all the sudden after an two hours (I didn't change or open anything) I get an alert that the temp has increased 20-25 degrees. Then I go and make adjustments.

This can happen as the meat gains temperature and not Refer cold. I fill my water pan with hot water which could also add to the raise in temp when it heats up.

Warren

This can happen as the meat gains temperature and not Refer cold. I fill my water pan with hot water which could also add to the raise in temp when it heats up.

Warren
When it heats up, do you then adjust the temps to bring it back down? Or back up if needed? That's what I have done, but sometimes I have to adjust it numerous times 5-10 over a 4-5 hour smoke. I haven't done anything overnight yet, or while I wasn't home, but with the fluctuating temperatures, I am not sure how that would be possible.

Hi SquattingHen,

I use a Masterbuilt 30" Vertical Smoker.
Here are my thoughts on your questions.

#1) I typically use my water pan full and have had no issues, even while getting the skin of a bird crispy

#2) For rack location use your temp sensor to map your smoke chamber. You will find some areas hotter than others. You can then place your racks where you want depending on what temp you are aiming for.

#3) 10 to 20 degree temp swings are fairly normal with a lot of smokers, mine included.
I usually try not to overreact to the swings and let the smoker level itself out. I did convert to a needle valve setup which gives me a better handle on controlling the temps.

#4) I switched to chunks vs. chips and found the smoke to be more steady. I ramp up my temp to get the chunks smoking then adjust my temps to where I want them to be.

I would sugest you search the forums for others who use the same make and model of smoker as yours and see what their experieinces are and what possible mods they have made to increase performance.

r2

Reactions: SquattingHen
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky