• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jimtv2003

Original poster
May 3, 2023
I hail from Alberta, Canada and bought an electric smoker around February. Smoking outside at -6 deg C was great, smoker was billowing at 150 deg. F
I have smoked sausages, loins, Montreal Smoked meats, Pastrami, ham and Salami.
The Salami was messy, set the smoker to 210 deg. F and unknown to me, rendered most of the fat and it still took hrs to get the internal to 160/
I am going to do a lot more smoking and cooking in the future/ I am so glad to have found this forum for answers to some (many) questions.
Trying hard to smoke snack sticks and sausages without rendering or drying out until they're wrinkled and less than juicy.

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome home, You cant crank the heat up at the beginning when making sausages, you have to do it in steps and I have never went over 180 on the settings , you cant rush it or you will dry them out, I think most of the sausages I have done started at 110 then 10-20 degree steps , lot of knowledge here and a expert or 6 will show up soon with better info

Welcome from Mississippi! Look forward to your posts and pics. Lots of sausage makers here. Man you'll have more info than you know what to do with.

Jim

Like mike243 mike243 said, start low. I use to just do 170° right away and leave it. These guys have aided myself and many through proper (better) procedures.
Welcome from ND.

Thank all of you for your for your replies.
So naive i thought I could add chips at 130 and all would be good.
I bought the smoker attachment and the world has changed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky