new smoker build (food proofer/warmer)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

labrador103

Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
I have added some pics of the finished product check them out

So I have been building my smoker and have most of it complete.  I will have to get pictures latter. Anyhow my food warmer had only one wall/single wall so I placed a second skin on the outside, I used diamond plate, I think it looks pretty cool.  I found some racks from a camp chef vault smoker which work great I can get two racks on each shelf. I have eight racks on four shelves about 8 inches apart.  All shelves are adjustable.

I am considering putting an insulation in the walls I have about 1 and 3/8 of an inch gap between the walls.  Any suggestions on a inexpensive material and where to buy...  I have bought a 3 inch exhaust pipe with a dampener and I built a cap for it to keep the rain out. A question here is do I mount it flush with the top of the unit or should I lower the pipe several inches into the unit. I thought this would keep the heat at a better constant.......Not sure tell me what you think. And what about the height of the exhaust pipe does that matter.

I also need to drill or cut some air intake holes,  I was thinking of having 3 or 4  3/4 inch ball valves.  Then I could adjust the air intake as needed.  Would three or four be enough or two much, or maybe a different size might be better..  Tell me if you have a better idea, I would appreciate it..... before I go and start cutting and drilling.

Thanks

Doug

Last edited:
Doug, evening...  Roxul or mineral  wool is designed for high temps... you can get it in sheets that will work very well for you....  Some pics of the unit would help along with its dimensions...  Small close able vents, like used in ductwork, are good for intakes....  What is your heat source going to be ???  With the box insulated like you are figuring, an electric element would work well... Help us out here with a little more info please... Dave

PICS!!!

bag the ball valves and use a simple butterfly or slide gate for the intake

Did I Mention.....Pics?

Todd

I will get some pics soon....I am using electric heat, the element in the unit works and heats up to 200 degrees but it takes an hour to get there and that is with no meat inside.  I am thinking I need something else which can get hotter and faster.  as for the mineral wool or roxol wool that is what I have been reading everywhere but I can not find it any where. Any suggestions

yesterday I installed a 3" dampener in the exhaust pipe and a china cap for the top of the pipe.  Now I have to drill a 3"  hole in the top of my unit. Hopefully this weekend I have time. Been chasing elk around with the bow

The internal  dimensions of my unit are 30 inches deep, 23 inches wide, and 56 inches tall.

Doug, I took a look and the list is endless trying to find an outlet...  I know Home Depot has it here... foiled on one or two sides, can't remember...   Search Roxul, rock wool, slag wool, fiber board etc... They make it in different thicknesses also...  Someone that built a smoker about 6 months back used it and linked to the supplier.... he built a SFB RF smoker and insulated the FireBox...  

The electric element will heat faster and to higher temps when you have it insulated....  No worries mate....   Dave

that is what I am hoping for, faster heat up and a tad bit hotter.  I can only hope.  I do not have a home depot here but I am going out of town to Portland, Or. next weekend I will look then. I hope I can find some looks like I will need about 45 squared feet for all four sides and top and maybe bottom.  

does unfaced fiberglass insulation not put off any harmful fumes or toxins when heated??????  I thought it was harmful if heated to a certain temperature

I used fiberglass in my smoker walls and what I read was fiberglass can take 1000 degrees. It is made from spun glass and woven into microfibers. I'm not aware of any fumes or toxins as it is just glass. You may want to Google it to so you know for sure.

So the smoker works great for making jerky,  But I tried to smoke a couple pork butts and I could not get the temp up past 200 degrees.  Any solutions or ideas would be helpful.  I need more heat!!!!!!

Doug, morning..... If your smoker is a "true" food warmer, it probably has a "snap switch" or some other device to keep it from getting too hot when warming food..... Find it and remove it....    Dave

It has a thermostat which does control the heat,  but I need at least another 50 to 75 degrees.  Is there something I can do to the existing thermostat to get more heat?

it probably has a "snap switch" or some other device to keep it from getting too hot when warming food..... Find it and remove it..

They put those snap switches in so if there is a thermostat failure, the unit will shut off at 200.... That makes them idiot proof..... look for the snap switch...  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky