New Pit Boss Austin XL

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rev579

Original poster
Feb 20, 2020
I bought and assembled the Austin XL, now I am letting it cure/season at 450 for 30-45min at a P3 setting. In the meantime, I noticed some areas where the smoke leaks out, instead of the smokestack. Should this be a concern? I understand that smoke management is less an issue with the Pellet Smokers, but since I am new to this, I won't hesitate to ask questions.
I also noticed that the temp gauge on the lid is reading 550, while the digital reading is 440. Any reason for concern?
Just checked on it...
Digital reading 475, lid 550

congrats on the new smoker, yeah there will be some smoke leakage but it shouldn't be excessive, I have a pitboss 1000t2 and my digital and lid therm usually run pretty close, did you check the temps at grill level mine runs hotter on the right then left, might be something you might want to check out,

congrats on the new smoker, yeah there will be some smoke leakage but it shouldn't be excessive, I have a pitboss 1000t2 and my digital and lid therm usually run pretty close, did you check the temps at grill level mine runs hotter on the right then left, might be something you might want to check out,
All I did was prime it, closed the flame shield/deflector and let it go, setting the temp at 450, but it was blazing! After letting it run, I hit the power button to let it cycle down and eventually it went off. I don't have a "good" thermometer, other than a digital, wireless Brookstone probe. I'm reading up on the bluetooth and wifi probes currently.
Is my assumption correct that the slant used to drain the grease is the primary culprit in the left/right temp difference?

That’s pretty common as it takes awhile ti get the whole pit the same temp , i love mine and no problems other than a couple plug in temp probes went south. Hope You will enjoy it as much as I have mine

Reactions: rev579
You and me both. I went out on a limb, going with the Austin XL, but the deal looked hard to beat.

Is my assumption correct that the slant used to drain the grease is the primary culprit in the left/right temp difference?
could very well be to tell ya the truth that never crossed my mind, how does your temp reading match up with what you have it set for.

I need to address the thermometer choice(4 or 6 probe model), grab some lumberyard pellets(I currently have Pit Boss), and decide whether or not I need a heat defuser. I will probably not use the flame broiler function since I have my gas grill right next to the PB. But I'm about ready to Rock 'n have some Rolling Smoke!

Reactions: smokerjim
I quit worrying about leakage a long time ago. Both my Rec Tec, and my WSM leak a little. It hasn't affected the taste of my Q one bit. I have a Mini Cooper S with almost 200k on it. Now THAT gets my attention.

Set it on smoke fore a couple hrs or more if doing a long smoke then move to 225-250 till done, thick porkchops are great at 2 hours of smoke ,.

Reactions: Steff3 and rev579
Maiden Voyage:
First Smoke with the PB.jpg

ABTs, Stuffed Pork Tenderloin, Stuffed Avocado, and Sausage.

Success. Crisped the bacon under the broiler because I cooked it all at 225. Since I made too much of the "stuffing", I stuffed a Pork Tenderloin and an Avocado.
IMG_8867.jpg IMG_8868.jpg IMG_8869.jpg

Now it’s time to seal up and modify my Smoke Hollow 4-n-1 to see what kind of stick burner it can break my be.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky