New PB Vertical - First Cook w/ Rambling

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Khrakk

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
E. Texas
My wife and daughters recently bought me a Pit Boss 4 vertical smoker to replace my MES30 that was really really old. I guess they finally came to the realization that I was never going to pick up a new smoker as long as my old MES kept running. My MES was all rusty, even had the start of holes in it, and the controller was missing the cover (so it was just circuit board on top, but I knew which buttons to push). Anyways, new smoker, PB4 Vertical from lowe's. Think my wife was more excited than me, to get the old clunker off the front porch.

I really like the new smoker, and I've done a ton of stuff in it in a relatively short time. My first smoke was pork tenderloin. I use olive oil spray, kosher salt, rub, and chili powder. After about 2.5 hours we were up to temp, and I was delighted with the smoke ring when I first cut into it. I've never had a smoke ring, except on my dad's smoker. It turned absolutely delicious. My wife does not typically like smoked stuff, due to my lack of technique (but more on that later); and my daughter who always eats before coming over both made dinner plates. They both said it was delicious. I usually take my smoked stuff to work for lunch, but not enough left over. I actually like that my family enjoys my smoking now, but that is more tribute to what I have learned here on the forums than due to the new smoker itself. My lack of technique usually meant I smoked until I was happy with the outside bark, or I would cook to a long timer. The result, usually really dry, and mostly tough meat. Now, thanks to you all, I cook to an internal temperature, and my stuff comes out usually moist and tender.

So far, I have smoked the following with the new beast:
- pork tenderloin x 3
- Rump Roast x 2
- Bratwurst x 2
- Pork belly burnt ends
- Chicken wings
- Chuck roast
- Pork picnic roast
- Ribs
- pizza
I think you can tell I like my new smoker.

Sorry for my amateur pictures. This phone is not cooperating.

Attachments

• 20200620_201735.jpg
    20200620_201735.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200621_111439.jpg
    20200621_111439.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200622_202526.jpg
    20200622_202526.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200624_115244.jpg
    20200624_115244.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I'd say your pictures are fine, and so is the meat you are smoking up, nice work! RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky