New Memphis Elite ITC3

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TrillTreez

Original poster
Apr 7, 2023
Like someone who posted last year, I too got my first pellet grill and went in big for a Memphis Elite ITC3. I haven't had it one week, and it's out of commission.

I read posts where people said they use theirs in the rain. Someone said they don't even cover theirs. Maybe that's possible with the old Memphis Grills. The new grill doesn't even seem made for exterior use. I was using a cover that wasn't made for it, and it blew off during a rain storm. The grill itself was wet. I assumed the screen was made, so that water can't get inside. And the grill worked for me the following day. The next time I turned it on half the screen was black with water damage. I took apart the screen and a good amount of water came out of the screen case. Screen destroyed on a $6000 grill within one week of ownership.

Besides it being out of commission already, I was unable to connect it with my phone in the short time that I had it. It should be a straightforward process. The app didn't search and find wifi networks, but had me enter it by name along with the password. Then it would be in perpetual provision mode never finding and connecting.

I can't believe a $6000 grill is made so cheaply. Within one week of owning it, it's done, and I have a 14 lb brisket in the fridge that I'd already applied a rub to. Won't be able to get ahold of anyone at Memphis for the new screen until next week. Who knows how much it will cost and how long it will take to get here. I don't even want the Memphis anymore.

If you've only had it a week, I would assume it's still under warranty. Send that thing back, and make them pay the shipping.

Reactions: gmc2003
Any update on this? I've had a few hiccups with my Pro ITC3 but nothing this serious.
Customer service sent me a new screen with the metal casing around it. It looked used, so I assume it was refurbished. It has worked okay since installing it. Unexpected rain has come a couple times when smoking. While I was worried it hasn't failed yet.
I have gotten it to hookup to wifi, but with wifi you can only see the temperature of the grill and the probes. You cannot change the temperature because Traeger has a lawsuit against them for stealing their technology.
A grill salesman talked me into this grill, saying it is the best of both worlds because you can use it as a smoker or open flame grill over it. However, the area that can be used to open flame grill is very tiny. When I grill I grill a lot of food, a ton of vegetables with with whatever meat, so it is grossly inadequate. I ended up purchasing a refurbished natural gas Wolf grill that I use exclusively for grilling, and I only use the Memphis as a smoker. Since they sent me a new screen it has been pretty good. There have been small hiccups where it's gotten hotter than the setting unexpectedly. It has gotten unplugged during usage and has to go through a long cool down process before I can turn it back on to start it up again to continue smoking. Basically, I think the Memphis grill looks sexy but you can get a better device or at least as good for cheaper from another company.

Customer service sent me a new screen with the metal casing around it. It looked used, so I assume it was refurbished. It has worked okay since installing it. Unexpected rain has come a couple times when smoking. While I was worried it hasn't failed yet.
I have gotten it to hookup to wifi, but with wifi you can only see the temperature of the grill and the probes. You cannot change the temperature because Traeger has a lawsuit against them for stealing their technology.
A grill salesman talked me into this grill, saying it is the best of both worlds because you can use it as a smoker or open flame grill over it. However, the area that can be used to open flame grill is very tiny. When I grill I grill a lot of food, a ton of vegetables with with whatever meat, so it is grossly inadequate. I ended up purchasing a refurbished natural gas Wolf grill that I use exclusively for grilling, and I only use the Memphis as a smoker. Since they sent me a new screen it has been pretty good. There have been small hiccups where it's gotten hotter than the setting unexpectedly. It has gotten unplugged during usage and has to go through a long cool down process before I can turn it back on to start it up again to continue smoking. Basically, I think the Memphis grill looks sexy but you can get a better device or at least as good for cheaper from another company.
Just yesterday I received a package in the mail from Memphis with a fabric cover just for the screen. Rain impacting the controller screen must be a problem. I don't understand how something like this wasn't worked out in the R&D process.

I hear you re: small area for grilling. I normally cook for only a few people so it works for me. For low-and-slow smoking, there are two things that annoy me: 1) it does not crank out a lot of smoke at smoking temperatures and 2) the drip pan is very close to the main grate and throws off a lot of radiant heat, which can dry out the food. To compensate I cook on the middle rack.

The one I had (Chinese made built-in) had intermittent WIFI problems.
Never heard about not being able to change temps.
The one I had could. Got in April 2020 I think.

A grill salesman talked me into this grill, saying it is the best of both worlds because you can use it as a smoker or open flame grill over it. However, the area that can be used to open flame grill is very tiny.
I found the area too small as well. Just used a propane grill.
They went downhill when the started making them in China.
I was really pi$$ed when it arrived and said "Made In China" on the box.
Wasn't shocked when found it was DOA.
Sent me an RTD and new controller.
When installing the new controller, I notices that the old one had a large capacitor that was wired backwards.
As I said above, WIFI was always intermittent and it wasn't my WIFI.
My current grill is NOT a Memphis.

I have had the same issue with water getting in the ITC 3 control. I keep mine covered except when in use. Last time I was smoking a small shower came in. Very little rain and only for a few minutes. Next day black screen in places. This is the second time this has happened. If it were a down pour I could possible excuse it, but not this. After the first one did this I have been extremely careful. Now Memphis has been acquired by Superior Equipment Solutions who knows what will happen with this known issue. Hopefully they will stand behind the product and find a fix.

I won't have had mine for a year for some months yet. I believe the electronics have a three year warranty. So if it breaks again, hopefully I can get replacements for another two years, and hopefully it doesn't happen before I'm planning a big smoke for the fam. Really sucks you have to watch the weather so much and worry, and of course mine doesn't allow me to change temp wirelessly. I may reach out to the company for a cover for the screen that ScoopBBQ mentioned to give me a little peace of mind when sprinkled happen.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky