• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnnyb99

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 18, 2014
South Dakota
Hello everyone,

Very new to the hobby of smoking.  I have been making jerky on a dehydrator for years, but wanted to dive a little further into the hobby. I just picked up a 30" Cajun Injector electric smoker for Christmas.  I'm hoping to make a lot of jerky but also really want to learn about smoking other meats.  I have done very little, so it is definitely a bit intimidating.  I have a Brinkman electric bullet smoker that I have cooked a couple of turkeys on, but have not done any other type of meat yet.  My name is John.  I live in South Dakota, and of course it is cold right now with the wind blowing like it wants to tear the house down!

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

So.....I just used my cajun injector for the first time tonight.  I picked up a ham at the store.  I have a friend who likes to double smoke ham alot.  It has always tasted great, so I thought I would try.  Again I am new to smoking so I have a lot to learn.  So far thing seem to be going ok.  The only concern I have right now is adding would chips.  My smoker has a side tube to add more chips, but it recommends only adding a 1/4 cup at a time.  Every time I add wood it seems to smoke for only a very short time.  I have gone out and added chips about every 20 minutes..Is this normal to do????  The ham is at an IT of 125 right now after about 3 hours of smoking.  I am guessing to pull of at about 140

So.....I just used my cajun injector for the first time tonight.  I picked up a ham at the store.  I have a friend who likes to double smoke ham alot.  It has always tasted great, so I thought I would try.  Again I am new to smoking so I have a lot to learn.  So far thing seem to be going ok.  The only concern I have right now is adding would chips.  My smoker has a side tube to add more chips, but it recommends only adding a 1/4 cup at a time.  Every time I add wood it seems to smoke for only a very short time.  I have gone out and added chips about every 20 minutes..Is this normal to do????  The ham is at an IT of 125 right now after about 3 hours of smoking.  I am guessing to pull of at about 140
Hi John...first off, welcome to the group!  Congrats on that new smoker, and on your new addiction!  You're gonna love turning out your own tasty smoked foods, and hearing your friends and family rave about your food, too!  

Yes, it is pretty common to need to add chips to those chip trays/tubes every 20-30 minutes.  The next smoking tool you should consider buying is an A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker...a little smoke generator invented by one of our members, TJohnson.  It'll put out hours of perfect smoke without the need to futz with that annoying factory chip tray every few minutes.  Check them out at  http://www.amazenproducts.com/.

Todd's a good guy, and he goes out of his way to take good care of every customer.

Good luck with that ham!  Be sure to let us know how it turns out, and remember...we love qview!

Red

Welcome to the forums! We are happy that you joined the group. You'll find plenty of information here with over 1 million posts! Make the search bar at the top of the page your new friend.  Or, simply post your question in the area that applies. You'll get plenty of helpful advice. 

Also consider enrolling in Jeff's 5 day E course. It gives you lots of great information to start you off on the right foot! Best of all is that it's free!

Again, WELCOME 

Brian

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky