New Member researching Smoke House build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Full Phase

Original poster
Jan 4, 2021
Hey all,

I have been reading threads over the past number of days looking for some help with my smoke house design and am looking for some advice/input. And I apologize now because some of the stuff has been covered off previously but lots has been started and not finished.

So I managed to get a hold of a few bakers proofer and am planning on using it. I just finished building a house so i do have lots of left over materials that I would like to use but am hesitant on some of it after what i have been reading on here.

So, i will mainly be smoking fish, pepperoni, garlic coil, etc. I do have some western red cedar decking that I was thinking of using but alot of peeps are saying not to...... I am on vancouver island, canada, so we have a pretty mild winter.

I also have some left over Hardi Plank siding that I was thinking of using for the inside instead of the cedar. My only concern is that it has been painted so I thinking that would not work.

Next i was thinking of wrapping the cedar or plywood with aluminum which i would have to purchase......I am handy enough with most thinks but metal work will all be new to me.

Heat source I am leaning to propane, but I would like to set it up to ad a external firebox for cold smoking at a later date.
See attached photo.....and thanks so much!

Last edited:
IMG_2564.jpg

Welcome glad to have you on board. I'm sure you will find some reliable answers on here. Scroll down home page until you come to the smoke house build section. Ask you questions and somebody will most likely have an answer for you.

Warren

Do not use any pressure treated wood for the smokehouse. Other woods are find expect plywood as they use a lot of glue in it of unknown type.

Look up flame out sensors for propane burners so it doesn't become a bomb if the flame goes out. I know it is here in the smokehouse section you just have to search it.

Metal on the inside, or outside? I would not bother inside as you'll spend a day and half trying to get the smoke out. Just let it build up, it smells like heaven to me. The wife complains, but I just tell her stay away from the smokehouse if she needs let all that hate out. ;)

Welcome. Mine is framed with conventional lumber, sheeted in cdx (exterior plywood) the bottom 3 foot is lined with Hardi-backer cement board ( corrugated steel would be better) where my propane turkey fryer burner is located. Just don’t use pressure treated lumber and you will be fine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky